Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 May 2024, 07:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 21:36 

Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for any assistance. This is my first post, so thanks for reading!

I know that this question has been asked many times before, but I feel my situation may be slightly different.
I use a VTX3D 7970 which only has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 Mini DP ports, and they are connected to my non-DP Samsung s23a700d's as follows:

• Left Monitor- GPU HDMI/ Active DVI adapter ---> DVI port on monitor.

• Middle Monitor-GPU Active DVI ---> DVI port on monitor.

• Right Monitor- GPU Mini DP port/ Active DVI adapter ---> DVI port on monitor.

It is well known that this setup will cause screen tearing on monitors due to different clock rates on the inputs (DP and DVI) which mess up the monitors sync rate even with Vsync enabled.
This is extremely annoying and I cannot live with this tearing on two of my monitors considering how much I spent on this setup.

My question is, IF I bought a second 7970 to use in crossfire, would I be able to use one of the two mini-dp's on that card and two on my other 7970 with active DVI adpaters? This would ensure the same input, being:
Use of three (Two from one 7970, one from the other) Mini DP/ Active DVI adapters from graphics cards ----> DVI ports on monitors. This means three of the same connection
Would this fix my tearing issue?

If this will correct the screen tearing on my three monitors, I'm more than happy to buy another 7970, otherwise I'll have to sell it and buy a GTX 680 and take advantage of the DVI/DVI/HDMI connection it offers.
Sorry for the long winded question, but I would REALLY appreciate an answer to this, I'm nearly at my wits end.
Thank you so much for your time.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 22:52 
Editors
Editors

IF you use Crossfire, you have to plug all Monitors in ONE GPU.

So that wont work!

I still don't get it why some ppl have Screen tearing and some other's don't might be Monitor related?

Running 3x Dell U2311H via DVI, miniDP-> DVI and hdmi->DVI. No tearing!

Post subject: Thanks very much for the
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 19:52 

Thanks very much for the response.

So, the only option would be to go the Nvidia route, where I can use DVI DVI and HDMI to ensure the same latency rate?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 01:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks very much for the response.

So, the only option would be to go the Nvidia route, where I can use DVI DVI and HDMI to ensure the same latency rate?

Which two monitors do you get tearing on?

Like Haldi, I had a 6950 with 3 monitors, using dvi, hdmi and mini dp (with active adapter) - all going to hdmi inputs on my monitor - and NO tearing. I don't think the displayport output (or indeed the adapter) are at fault here. Please let us know which of the outputs display tearing.

Post subject: Thank you again for the
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 16:03 

Thank you again for the response.
I honestly can't pinpoint the problematic input/output, and the tearing now occurs across three screens, rather than just two.

I've found someone who's looking to swap his 6990 for a 7970. The 6990 advertised has 4 mini DP ports, which used with DVI active adapters would eliminate my screen tearing issues. Your thoughts on this option?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 17:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, three screen tearing is actually easier to diagnose - or at least an assumptive diagnosis. Can you enable v-sync and tell us if you still get the same issue?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 18:11 

Its typical I have had the exact same problem as you anything plugged into display ports tear just plug your two side screens into them so you dont notice them as much.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 18:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Its typical I have had the exact same problem as you anything plugged into display ports tear just plug your two side screens into them so you dont notice them as much.

I had my displayport one in the middle - didn't have tearing?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 18:35 

I've found a fix for this solution, and it's not a pretty one, but exciting nonetheless.
I'll sell my 7970, and buy a GTX 690 and take advantage of the 3 DVI ports on the card to power my 120hz monitors.
-No tearing.
-Amazingly powerful.
-Will allow me to use my monitors at 120hz.
I really have to just go big, or go home. Heh.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 21:33 
Insiders
Insiders

a 670 or 680 could do this too couldn't it? Less powerful, but cheaper :)