Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 May 2024, 11:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 22:14 

Hey guys,

just wanted to know if anyone already heard or even tried out the new Radeon 4850 X2.

The interesting thing about it is that is got 4x DVI out and therefore could be the idieal tool for multi monitor set ups.

In the specification is says that you could either have the full power of crossfire on this card on the primary display (single display) or use several monitors at once, but then without crossfire.

Since its quiet new I guess, there are not too many reviews, especially concerning the multi monitor capability. What I´m interested is, if you could even have different resolutions, or simply put if it is possible to play games just like with the DTH2GO.

Anyone know anything?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 07:12 

Hey guys,

just wanted to know if anyone already heard or even tried out the new Radeon 4850 X2.

The interesting thing about it is that is got 4x DVI out and therefore could be the idieal tool for multi monitor set ups.

In the specification is says that you could either have the full power of crossfire on this card on the primary display (single display) or use several monitors at once, but then without crossfire.

Since its quiet new I guess, there are not too many reviews, especially concerning the multi monitor capability. What I´m interested is, if you could even have different resolutions, or simply put if it is possible to play games just like with the DTH2GO.

Anyone know anything?

I kinda doubt u can do a th2g type of thing even on cross fire.

though u can try SotfTH ;)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 20:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I have a 4870 X2.. nope you still need a Th2Go or SoftTH.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 20:50 

I kinda doubt u can do a th2g type of thing even on cross fire.

though u can try SotfTH ;)

As I mentioned, it already tells you on the website, that you can choose, wether you like to use crossfire (but then only on the primary display - means single screen), or if you would like not to use crossfire and use multiple monitors (up to 4 it seems).

The 4870 X2 has only 2 DVI out. But the 4850 has 4 DVI out.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 18:02 

Sorry to break the party but the 3870x2 TOP by Asus already had 4 DVi ports and no, you could not play with 3 monitors using that solution either.

Theoretically SoftTH should be able to let you play with 3 monitors, but im guessing the performance would be abysmal because:

A) you need to turn off Crossfire
B) You would be using whatever bridge or interface ATI made to drive the extra 2 DVI ports, which i am absolutely sure are way slower than a PCI Express bridge, which is what SoftTH uses to route the image to the third monitor.

BTW, even if you get a 4850x2, its useless with TripleHead 2 Go since it wont let you drive anything past 1440 * 900 per screen.

I have a 4870x2 and even though it is smoking fast, i regret buying it since its useless for triplehead 2 go, next round im going nVidia and moving to TripleHead 2 Go.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 00:52 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

The 4870 X2 has only 2 DVI out. But the 4850 has 4 DVI out.

Does that really matter, by that logic I should be able to play DualHead, but I can't do that either.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 01:32 

Mhm, i dont know.

With my Laptop with dual Geforce 7900GS (with single DVI out) I was able to play Dual Head with one monitor connected to the dvi out and the other connected to the vga out of the laptop. Not that I would ever have done that for more than a minute (because the bezel is right in the middel, which suxx very hard), but it was fun testing.

So, thinking that even a single DVI graphics card is capable of playing dual head, I would asume, that a 4x DVI out card is capable of playing even quadro head, or whatever that would be called then :lol:

Anyways, I sent a mail directly to Sapphire and asked them several questions about this 4850 card. As soon as the mail gets answered, I´ll tell you guys what is possible, if you´re interested :D

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 04:06 

1. You cannot play games using 3 monitors without the triplehead2go even if you have that many GPU outputs.

2. I have a crossfireX set up and it works with the triplehead2go.

Post subject: Re: rply
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 05:11 

1. You cannot play games using 3 monitors without the triplehead2go even if you have that many GPU outputs.

Not true, SoftTH is one method.

The Matrox parhelia is another (dated) option, also any other Matrox card (even multi-gpu ones) can do it.

Also single gpu nvidia cards with more than two dedicated outputs (some Quatro cards).

I do not know if there is an ATI solution, (Single GPU quad output card)

Other than those options you are stuck with the TH2G.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 19:19 

Ok guys,

I emailed some question I had about the Radeon 4850X2 and got them answered from the sapphire custumor support.

Always keep in mind, that when you decide to play on more than 1 display using the Radeon 4850X2, you will have to dissable crossfire, meaning you will have to play with the power of only one Radeon 4850! (when you´re asking yourself now, “why should I then even by a 4850X2 instead of a normal 4850â€