Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 May 2024, 13:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thief 3 Discussion
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2005, 13:06 

OK, there's definitely something whacky going on with these negative number resolution settings. I thought I'd do some further mucking around to see if I could get 1680 by 1050 working... and using '-3' seems to do just that. I've taken screenshots using -3 and they are indeed captured at 1680 by 1050 (shots taken using the -2 setting seem to be 1600 by 1200 though, which sorta conflicts with what Paddy said above). I've disabled the 'stretch to fit screen' option in my catalyst drivers, and alt-tabbing out of Thief doesn't result in any of the telltale 'resolution switch' signs (like a quick black screen flicker). In other words, everything seems sweet and kosher using -3.
However, there's one thing that has me nonplussed: changing the setting to -4 and -5 doesn't seem to do anything further to change the res. It doesn't budge from 1680.
Could it be that using certain negative numbers somehow makes the game use your Windows desktop resolution?
Anyone else wanna try this and see what happens? I'd be particularly interested to know if this works for 1280 by 800...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2005, 20:50 
Editors
Editors

Hello malgod...

Its great that you got it working ... :) ... and yes something very strange must be going on.
My resolution is definitely 1920x1200 at the setting -2 ....
May be it's a video card thing ... I take it that you have an ATI card ? ... I have... 2 x 256Mb PCI-E 6800Ultra SLi Mode.
I too would be interested to see what results others get.

Cheers ...

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 04:55 

Wow, I am loving this. Thief is one of my favorite games. Play them all. Am a Stealth and Ghosting style player. I am going to put these fixes in and try Thief 3 in widescreen. Have a month old Dell 2405 that will display it well.

Thanks guys, will post back how it goes for me. :wink: :D

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 12:01 

Excellent... i put this game on hold, hoping someone could hack it widescreen. Its hard to get immersed in a game like this when its stretched.

I havent tried this hack yet but i will probably reinstall soon when i am able to spend some time getting into the game.

Thanks for passing on this info!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 16:27 

OK I need a piece of advise here. I am assuming that the tweak goes in the Default ini file in Thief 3. The thing is huge and went went surfing through it. Exactly where are you putting the numbers in? Is it way down towards the bottom where there are three resolution settings?

Here is a cut n paste of what I am referring to above.

[VideoOptionsDefaultHigh]
Resolution=2
ShadowDetail=25
Bloom=1
LightCutoff=25
MultiSampling=1
LOD=25
UseLowResTextures=0

[VideoOptionsDefaultMedium]
Resolution=1
ShadowDetail=13
Bloom=1
LightCutoff=13
MultiSampling=1
LOD=13
UseLowResTextures=0

[VideoOptionsDefaultLow]
Resolution=0
ShadowDetail=0
Bloom=1
LightCutoff=0
MultiSampling=1
LOD=0
UseLowResTextures=1

End of cut n paste.

If this is not the spot of choice, please toss me a spoiler.

Am going to post this in the thread that was peeled off of this one too just in case. :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 16:55 
Editors
Editors

Hello ...
the ini file for changing the resolution (on my machine) is here ...

C:Documents and Settings3XS CobraMy DocumentsThief - Deadly ShadowsSaveGamesUser Options

The location of the file for adjusting the FOV (on my machine) is here ...

H:Thief - Deadly ShadowsSystem

Hope it helps ...
Paddywak .... :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 19:18 

That was the ticket. Didn't think to look in My Documents. I almost hate it when games stick things in there.

Well I set my monitor at 1 to 1 and the screen filled right up. 1920 x 1200. My thanks Paddy the Wak.

Have been trying to tweak the FOV settings a bit for First Person. No luck yet. There are some settings for that in the default ini file but to my eye changing it didn't do anything.

Duty calls so I can't play with until later.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 19:29 
Editors
Editors

Hi Sneak ...
To adjust the FOV ... make a back-up of your T3Camera.ini (found in the system folder) then copy and paste my T3Camera.ini (first post above) to your existing one ... I have tweaked it for 1920x1200 ratio.

happy "Sneaking" ... :D

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2005, 20:11 

Thanks Paddy the Wak!

Thought duty called but is delayed for a short. I work for myself anyway. :wink:

I was hesitant to do that at first because I have a mod installed and had no idea what they might have tweaked in there. But I backed it up and tried as you suggested. Doesn't seem to have munged the mod and it works. :) I am pleased in general. Wish I could get Metal Age to true widescreen as well.

Question though. It would be nice to have the First Person FOV look close to the width you get when in Third Person. I know it can't be as wide since the camera dollies backs for Third person. But I play in First Person mostly and only switch th Third when I need to see something that I can't in First. Like looking over the edge of something. Any ideas there? For my purposes will I have to Tweak Third person a tad further to get a shade wider first person?

OK, now I am really off to work.
:D

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2005, 01:46 

Paddy the Wak,
Thanks for the response. I had toyed with that for a bit before I left earlier and yeah, I was way to high on the numbers and got Garrets head in the view.

Will plug in that 1.2 setting and see how it is. Pics look perfect though.

My thanks, you have saved me some work. :)

Will let ya know!