Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 20:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Gaming videos forum.
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 02:30 

Sorry guys, I apologize on behalf of Filefront. They just did some major maintenance, that I thought was done, but perhaps not. Generally when I hear these kinds of complaints though, most of the time I try downloading myself and it works fine, averaging 100-160kbps.

A lot of it has to do with when and what server you try using. Sometimes you have to try 3 or 4 before you get one with acceptable speed.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 03:32 
Editors
Editors

Individual gaming tips for example how to record a demo of a game and turn it to bmp or whatever and then what codec to use. Or some external program that records it for you.

I did mention external programs. I wrote that just to give a heads up that there should be some tutorial how to make it wether it is in-game or external program. This is the suggestion area.

And for the Filefront there are a lot of different opinions wich some is good and wich some is not and I accept that. I can only speak from personal experience when it comes to filefront. Last 2 months I have downloaded a lot of game movies and trailers and I have had the same problem as Ibrin 8 times out of 10. I have tried different servers(from 1 to some above 20) but it is the same most of the time. It doesn´t matter if it is morning, afternoon, evening or night. Or it might just be that I live in Sweden but in my case I don´t count that as a good host. And those clicks you have to make like ibrin says. For me filefront is a working host. But I think that filefront is a good thing for those who can´t find a good host because of the things you said.

Sure torrent works but then I guess we have to put up a tracker and have atleast one host online all of the time. I don´t mind a tracker so don´t take me wrong. I just wanted to mention that it takes a little more work then putting a file on a server and just linking them as we do know. It is easy to create a torrent I know. If it gets big and a whole bunch wants to download something it is only a good thing in this case.

Frag Maniac, I feel that your read my post as something negative and stupid when I read your answer, because how you put it. Or maybe it is just me.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 08:31 

Frag Maniac, I feel that your read my post as something negative and stupid when I read your answer, because how you put it. Or maybe it is just me.
Hey, easy guy, I'm just trying to offer something here. I don't intend to imply any stupidity or ignorance in what I say. Your location is part of the problem, like you said. Many of those that live in Europe say this about Filefront.

Unfortunately I have invested too much time in building my Filefront filepage to change easily to something else. I will say this though, they used to be more consistently fast with their download speeds, both here and abroad. I just emailed them and told them of the many complaints I've beeen getting for the last month or two about download speeds. Even I have noticed a difference when I try to test the downloads, it used to be much better.

They just changed the layout and look of the file hosting service, maybe they are not done yet, I don't know. I'll have to wait and see what they say when they email me back. :wink:

(EDITED)I just tried the above link and managed to download the file in well under 10 minutes averaging over 165kbps. This was done about 11:30PM Pacific Time (west coast USA). I did, however skip through the first 6 servers before getting the 7th to display the "click here" prompt within about 10 seconds. If a server does not display the prompt within that time, I go to the next one.

I am not implying that it will work that well for anyone abroad, it seems Filefront only works at good speeds in North America. Hopefully we can find a more international friendly service, but free ones of that type generally do not exist from what I've seen.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 11:49 
Editors
Editors

Sounds like a good idea, me and my clan (cs) have made our own fun movie.
A great place for tutorials about making movies is moviemakers, they've got tuts on how to record and even how to make a widescreen movie!

It's was a great help to us, so it's definetly worth taking a look at.

If you want to see our movie, check out our website: http://www.mufclan.be

As for filefront... I'm in queue -___-

edit: after 3 retry's it is finally downloading @ 70 kbs... sigh :(

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 15:12 
Founder
Founder

Cam someone give me a movie (or give me permission to use your movie) to test the download speeds off of .mac?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2006, 17:15 
Editors
Editors

Cam someone give me a movie (or give me permission to use your movie) to test the download speeds off of .mac?

You can use our movie if you want... here's a link: http://frank.pim-p.nl/clan/[MuF]TheMovie_ReleaseVersion.wmv

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2006, 01:06 

Sounds like a good idea, me and my clan (cs) have made our own fun movie.
A great place for tutorials about making movies is moviemakers, they've got tuts on how to record and even how to make a widescreen movie!

It's was a great help to us, so it's definetly worth taking a look at.

If you want to see our movie, check out our website: http://www.mufclan.be

As for filefront... I'm in queue -___-

edit: after 3 retry's it is finally downloading @ 70 kbs... sigh :(
The movie I posted is widescreen, it's very easy to do really. Problem is though, most capture programs will not capture in widescreen, so it ends up getting converted (and stretched) in the compression process.

Game Cam had and is trying to reinstate their widescreen capture feature, which is currently not operable due to a bug in the latest build version.

It would appear most of you guys are not from North America, so I'm not surprised you are getting much worse download times than I am with Filefront. Sorry, but like I said I don't know of any hosting sites that are internationally equal in download speeds and free, and I can't afford a high bandwidth website like some video makers use. :(

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2006, 02:19 
Founder
Founder

It would appear most of you guys are not from North America, so I'm not surprised you are getting much worse download times than I am with Filefront. Sorry, but like I said I don't know of any hosting sites that are internationally equal in download speeds and free, and I can't afford a high bandwidth website like some video makers use. :(

I am in the US, but still had a bad time. We'll see how the hosting runs through Apple's servers...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2006, 03:08 

I am in the US, but still had a bad time. We'll see how the hosting runs through Apple's servers...
Must be that you're using a Mac, the time of day you tried it, or that you didn't try enough servers. Like I said, I only wait 10 seconds then go on to the next one if I don't see the prompt. I also try another server if the download speed is below 100kbps, which is usually quick to determine, as the ones that slow are generally slow to start with. 70kbps is really not that bad at times like these though.

BTW, I just checked out dozens of hosting sevices, and they all have some sort of restrictions that are worse than what Filefront offers. Even Rapidshare which is highly prasied in Europe limits to 100MB files, and 30 days unviewed before deletion. There's also no guarantee it would work very well for those in the western hemisphere speedwise.

If I used Rapidshare, I'd have to view each of my videos at least once a month to make sure the links stay active. I'd also have to compromise the viewing size of many of my videos to accomodate the file size limit. I've seen many a broken link on forums from those that have used Rapidshare to host their videos, no doubt due to the 30 day deletion policy.

Filefront IS getting more popular despite their growing pains. It is my hope they will eventually add some European servers to better archive their database. This is something I've not asked them about, but plan to in my next email to them.

You have to realize though, there's not much incentive for them to do that when no one else is. It's an expense that can't really be justified in a market they already offer less restrictions in.

To tell you the truth though, I really don't know where their servers are located, they are based in Texas I believe.

I know a guy from the UK that I chat with on the DC Painkiller forum, whom took up video making after I coached him a bit. He also has and uses a Filefront file hosting account, so it can't be all that bad in some parts of Europe. Then again, I think much of it is the maintenance they've been doing lately. :wink:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2006, 19:11 
Editors
Editors

Filefront IS getting more popular despite their growing pains. It is my hope they will eventually add some European servers to better archive their database. This is something I've not asked them about, but plan to in my next email to them.

Filefront does have some european servers, I saw them once, but they never showed up again in that server list again...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next