Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just begining
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 15:51 

Hello I am brand new to the site/community. I am preparing to build my gaming set up and I am trying to determine the best bang for my buck in video cards. I have 6 21" widescreen monitors that I would like to get set up with eyefinity. I am trying to determine a) do I need two video cards to connect 6 monitors b) not exactly for sure how crossfire works c) any recommendations on the best way to set this up on a budget.

Best Regards.

Post subject: Re: Just begining
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:34 
Editors
Editors

Hi, :welcome
So you have 6 Monitors! This makes things complicated. IF you want to run Eyefinity aka Single Large Surface aka maximize windows(games) over all 6 screens (in a 3x2Landscape I assume) you need to connect ALL 6 Monitors to one card!
Even(especially) if you run Crossfire.

To connect 6 Monitors you need a Special GPU with 6Connectors. There is a thread from suiken_mieux which lists a lot of them.
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24334

The OTHER way would be MST Display port Hub, I.e from Club3D, that has 1DP input 3DP output.
Depending on the card you will get you could use 1x DP for the Hub, and then DVI-DVI-HDMI for the other 3.

For the Performance.... 3x2L 1920x1080 per Screen? i'd recommend Crossfire R9-290(x) everything below wont bring enough performance for BF4 or similar games. Except you play on ultra Low settings.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 14:22 

Thanks for the reply, I will be back after I can review the information you provided. Do you think I would be better off going with 5 monitors instead of 6?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 17:37 
Insiders
Insiders

:welcome

For gaming, I'd personally consider going 5x1 portrait orientation rather than 3x2 landscape. That way you don't have a bezel running right down the middle of your FOV.

What resolution are the monitors you already have and what kinds of inputs do they have, DVI, HDMI, VGA, or DisplayPort?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 21:02 

1680x1050
VGA/DVI

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 11:59 
Editors
Editors

That's gonna be a whole load of adapters ^^

I totally agree with Bifurk, just put 6 Monitors in a 3x2L setup and look at it.
5x1P has a WAY wider FoV but you don't have the middle bar.
If you play shooter with a crosshair the bar will get in your way.
For racing or simulation its totally up to you, if you prefer the huge screen from 3x2L or the wide FoV from 5x1P.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 16:35 
Insiders
Insiders

On the positive side, 1680x1050x5 isn't going to need quite as powerful a GPU as 1920x1080x5 would. But, it's still going to take a seriously beefy GPU.

I'm running 1920x1080x3 and can get playable frame rates with a single Radeon 7950, but only just playable around 30 fps in most modern titles. In order to get a more respectable frame rate, I have to use 2 Radeon 7950s in Crossfire.

Since you'll be pushing about 30% more pixels than I am, I'd say you definitely need something with performance at least equivalent to 2 Radeon 7950s, if not faster.

As Haldi mentioned, you're going to need a lot of DVI->Displayport adapters, since no card will be manufactured with 5x DVI ports.