Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 17:42 

I can now confirm that the Ergotron DS100 Triple-Monitor stand can mount three 24" monitors.

I initially got the Ergotron DS100 Dual-Monitor setup that handled my two 19" monitors then I added a 24" not to long ago. I still wanted to use the stand if I could and found out that I can buy extension arms for it and now can accommodate three monitors and for me it was 19"-24"-19".

From my understanding Ergotron have two options a 19" and I think a 24" extension kits. I got the 19" version if you happen to get the longer kit I think they will fit three 24" out of the box.

Witnessing the new ATI 5000 series cards in action running Eyefinity I couldn't help myself I ordered two more 24" monitors hence this confirmation post FYI. My 5870 card should be here tomorrow the sad thing is I don't have a DP-to-DVI adaptor yet. :cry:

I'll add some picture soon and I'll be happy to offer more details on the mod. You won't believe how easy it was to do. :wink:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 18:26 

niiice so ergo finally added support for 3x 24"

yeah scooby get them pictures up!!!

we'll be waiting =)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:18 

[Edited]

OK then, the adjustment I did was in fact very simple all you really need is a bolt that fits into the slots on the arm (1/2" ID) and a nut to tighten it all down, oh and a few large washers. I found some wing nuts that did the job well. Extend the arm as far as you need to and then screw it down. You can still use the screw and the large lock nut that come with the stand kit but I advise that you don't tighten these down to much you may damage it. Just make sure that the arms are aligned as straight as possible before you do your final bolt down. And remember these arms will be carrying the weight of that monitor so tighten those screws accordingly.

As you can see I was able to extend the arms out far enough that you can probably fit three 30" LCDs. The real modification I did was because I have three Samsung 245T monitors with a back bolt pattern of 200mmx100mm where most standard bolt patterns are 100mmx100mm. If you guys want more info on that just let me know.

Here are my monsters all ready for some Eyefinity action. My 5870 will be in tomorrow. :shock:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:30 
Editors
Editors

yay your setup its just like mine with the 3x24 and one big one on the top :D

So looks like normally that one knob would be in the slot but you extended it out more so you just had to replace it with your own bolts.

I like it and its nearly $100 cheaper than the "heavy duty" version of this that advertises 24" monitor support. Thing is I see your bezels meet directly end to end and I really like to have my outside monitors slightly behind the front one to decrease bezel size and bring the screens closer. I guess if I get a mount like this that you cant do that? Nevermind I see those mounts have tilt so it should let me do it.

I'll see how I like the stock mounts on the U2410's and later maybe order a DS100 and do this mod if I need too. I dont need the desk space I would mostly want it so I can raise/tilt all the monitors together rather than being restricted to a straight vertical position like you are when using 3 independent stands so that the monitors meet up.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:39 

If that one has the longer 20"-24"(?) arms, then YES it will work. But if they are the one with the shorter arms like the one I have you may have to extend them just like I did.

My DS100 was a dual screen kit I added the 19" extension arms later. At the time they held these...19"-24"-19".

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 07:46 
Editors
Editors

edited my above post. looks like a good solution and thanks for sharing it, 3x24" is getting more popular now and the only advertised 3X24" mounts were well over $300 in most cases so as long as this holds up well its a good way to save some money. Also the DS100 looks better than the heavy duty one I think

But the heavy duty model probably offers more stability and support as a trade off for its looks.

As for DS100 resources here is what I was able to cook up:

My Provantage Link: http://www.provantage.com/ergotron-33-323-200~7ERGT09A.htm $234 + shipping

Model 33-323-200 - http://www.shoplet.com/Ergotron-DS100-Series-Freestanding-Triple-Monitor-Stand_2L22009/hardware.html

Says 21" monitor but also states max like 20.1" width max, I think most 24" monitors are just at 20" width with thin bezels so it may fit right on there esp if you recess the bezels behind each other.

Here is the cheapest price: http://www.shoplet.com/Ergotron-DS100-Series-Freestanding-Triple-Monitor-Stand_2L22009/hardware.html $214

It has a different model# 33095200

But looking it up it is indeed still a 3x monitor DS100 mount, looks like it was probably just the older version of the one currently for sale.

Here is the ergotron page for it: http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/PRDID/16/dnnprintmode/true/language/en-AU/default.aspx?SkinSrc=[G]Skins%2F_default%2FNo+Skin&ContainerSrc=[G]Containers%2F_default%2FNo+Container

And Buy.com is a alternative to Provantage for the newer model its $254 but unlike provantage its free shipping so it could be cheaper - http://www.buy.com/prod/ergotron-ds100-triple-monitor-desk-stand-up-to-93lb-up-to-21-flat/q/loc/111/204890910.html

I know both buy.com & provantage are a part of the bing.com cashback program too, so you can cut 2-3% off the cost.

Here is a nice PDF: http://ergotron.com/Portals/0/literature/dimensionIllustrations/DIM-030-v2.pdf

Says the 33-325-200 (quad monitor mount) can also be used to mount 3x monitors instead up to size 24.5" wide (wide not diagonal, that means probably 3x30" maybe) but that mount is close to $500 so its not cheaper than the heavy duty version of the DS100.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 09:09 

I'm sure that companies will soon start making stands that will be design to mount three 24" and higher. As everyone can see having a single stand make for a very clean desktop.

I've been seeing these stands around the $250-$300 mark. I think if you find one at a good price grab it cuz I have a feeling and because of Eyefinity capable cards being out now the price might start going up and supplies thinning.

I can only speak on my experience with the Ergotrom DS100 stand but I'm sure more will start to show up the only problem with that is when will these things start showing up commercially.

The only other alternative is fully custom made but that's another story altogether.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 11:58 

A more detailed shot.

Still has that new monitor smell...I love it. :D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 21:02 

...Thing is I see your bezels meet directly end to end and I really like to have my outside monitors slightly behind the front one to decrease bezel size and bring the screens closer. I guess if I get a mount like this that you cant do that? Nevermind I see those mounts have tilt so it should let me do it. ...

I can confirm that the DS100 allows your outside monitors bezels to sit behind the center monitors. The clamps holding the monitor to the horizontal beam have a pivot which allows them to be angled inwards or outwards. I had mine setup like that for a while.

@ Scooby Wouldn't it be better if the extensions where moved closer to the center with the monitors mounted at the very outside of the slot. Or is one of the original alignment tabs in the extension preventing this? Having the two bolts, holding the extension to the center bar, spread as far as possible apart would provide a more stable arrangement.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 01:46 

@NZCoyote, your on the money on that my friend. The clamps holding the monitors can be adjusted to move left/right and swivel but not up or down. To adjust the the level of the two outside LCDs I added a 1/16" thick washer on the bottom section between the clamp and the extension arm. I'll try to take a picture of that soon.

The way I had the extension arms set in that pic was to show that the smaller 19" extension arm can extend far enough to fit up to a 30" LCD. When I finalize my setup I will adjust the LCD clamp to be right at the end of the slot and finally move both outside sections towards the center.

Looks like I need to take a few more pictures...more to gang. :D