Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Assetto Corsa
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 11:26 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: A

Read Full Detailed Report - Assetto Corsa

Assetto Corsa is a racing game/simulation with a strong focus on realism.

It is developed by Kunos Simulazioni, a small indie developer based in Italy best known from two other racing sims: Ferrari Virtual Academy and NetKar Pro.

While the game is still in developement, a Technology Preview (v0.9.9) is available to all owners of NetKar Pro, containing one car - the Lotus Elise SC and one track - Autodromo dell'Umbria aka Magione. The full game will contain a large number of licensed cars and tracks, but a full content list has not yet been disclosed.

The technology preview already offers excellent triple screen support; it has a "Triple Screen" selection box in the menu that, when ticked, enables the player to alter several surround parameters while in the car through a graphical interface.

On November 8, 2013 the still-unfinished game appeared on Steam Early Access.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by scavvenjahh on 12 Feb 2018, 13:01, edited 9 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Assetto Corsa
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 12:13 
Editors
Editors

This DR is based on BadBob's DR of the Tech Preview: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/assetto-corsa-tech-preview/en
A massive update was required, but it didn't feel right to simply replace that DR with a new one. So now we have two Assetto Corsa DRs: one for the Tech Preview (incomplete/outdated but not quite obsolete) and this one for the Early Access game (basically the full game). The Tech Preview has a firm release date, while the full game is still "TBD". I hope this is not too confusing.

Regarding this new AC DR:
- lots of stuff in there... concision is not my forte, feel free to edit !
- rear view mirrors inconsistencies have been neglected, so WS support is Gold.
- minor FOV inconsistencies in MM have been counted as one blemish, so MM support is Silver.
- suggested settings for 5x1P would be great ;)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 22:35 
I Donated
I Donated

Very nice report! I had intented to do a full DR update once the full game goes gold (1.0) but there's not much to improve here now :thumbup:
Will get back to you all on those 5x1P settings once I overcome the CrossfireX issues with this game, as in 5x1P this game is killing my PC on just one card :problem:

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 22:43 

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but is there a reason this game hasn't gotten a perfect multi-monitor score? Assetto Corsa is the only racing sim (beside iRacing) that has proper multi-monitor support, i.e. each screen is rendered separately. The two side screens can be adjusted to compensate for the angle. If any game deserves a perfect score on multi-monitor support then Assetto Corsa is certainly it.

Cheers :rockout:

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 04:00 

+1 whitestar

The topper for me is that all selected HUD elements can be moved anywhere you like, to any part of any of the 3 screens. Awesome multimonitor support.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 16:04 
Editors
Editors

It is awesome, no doubt. Too bad the FOV is not truly and solely Hor+ on all cameras, all the time.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 19:52 

You mean the other cameras beside the cockpit camera? That may be true but surely it's just a minor niggle, since you can adjust the cockpit camera and place it wherever you want, which basically means that you also can "emulate" the other cameras with it. If that's what you meant. :)

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand the medal awarding system here (not criticizing though ;)). Because other games that I have tried - like GTA5 and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - both display that horrible "stretching" effect on the side monitors, which result in a terrible fish eye view when moving your head around. And Assetto Corsa avoids that altogether, by rendering all 3 screens separately, allowing you to compensate for the fov and get rid of the fish eye effect. In my book that is far better than the fish eye perspective in GTA5 and ME:C (and Just Cause 3 and I'm sure many others) and thus deserves a higher (or at least equal score).

Or maybe I'm missing some settings in those titles that actually fix the stretching? I must apologize beforehand for my multi-monitor noobness. Haven't had 3 screens for very long. :)

On a side note: I'm sure I saw a post a while back that explained all the terminology, like "Hor+" and such. Could you give me a link? I can't seem to find it again.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 22:29 
Editors
Editors

You'll find that post sticky'ed on top of this very subforum ;)

I totally get what you mean: multiple cameras are a blessing. Right now and as far as I know we don't have the means to discriminate between regular, single-viewpoint, distorted-at-the-edges Hor+ support and those few games with proper multi-mon features. Maybe we could promote these games in some way, with a special ribbon or sth independently of the MM grade. As regards Assetto Corsa, and in my personal view, there's just too much fine print (literally - this DR is an awful read...) to warrant a Gold Medal. So there's some subjectivity to it and it is just as arguable as your own "minor niggle vs. horrible stretching" point of view. Besides the less you know about a game, the higher its grades tend to soar - and that's why GTA5 gets the gold... for now. "Stretching" aside, there is so much pillarboxed content in this one that I'll have to collect evidence and see it degraded someday !

So there you go. You're not wrong. Grades are not set in stone. Your input is appreciated.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 08:31 

scavvenjahh wrote:
You'll find that post sticky'ed on top of this very subforum ;)

Well, there you go. Stupid and blind, lol.

Ok, thanks for explaining. :) I can see there is more to it than just stretching or not stretching. Looks like I have some terminology to catch up on.

Anyway, I want to take the opportunity to thank you for maintaining a forum such as this. Very good resource. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 11:28 
Editors
Editors

Call me slow but I gave this a lot of thought and finally see the error of my ways. If explicit multi-mon features don't grant a game MM Gold, what will ? AC's multi-mon support is now certified.