Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 16:57 

Under windows 8, working (independent) mode, windows maximise to their respective monitor as you would expect.

Under gaming (span) mode (aka "Span diplays with Surround") application windows (browsers, windows explorer, etc) maximise across all monitors by default. How can we get these (non game) application windows to maximise to one monitor?

Under windows 7 there are the following solutions:

Quote:
Technical Issues [Heading]. My windows maximize across all monitors [Problem]. Install the Matrox PowerDesk, and it fixes this issue [Solution].
Skipclarke, 2010-08-24, NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround FAQ

Quote:
Matrox's PowerDesk software allows windows to be maximised to an individual screen ... Nvidia Surround has now introduced this functionality with the 301 series drivers. You can maximise windows to a particular monitor which is fantastic.
AussieTimmeh, 2012-04-07, Red vs Green vs Blue V2 - How they handle 3 screens

Under windows 8 none of these solutions work for me. I'm using

* A Single ASUS (Nvidia based designed) GTX680 (one of the latest generation to support 3 screens without needing SLI). Specifially a GTX680-DC2T-2GD5
* Windows 8 64 bit Pro.
* Nvidia Drivers 306.97.

In Hope the WSGF get a 680 for review! If they do or anyone else here gets one here is my question on it! Paradigm Shifter post some screenshots (post date: 2012-03-23) of the Nvidia control panel (presumably with much earlier drivers than 306.97). The "Desktop" menu has a "Surround Displays" submenu with "Confine Taskbar to Center Display" and "Maximize Windows Across All Displays".

These are absent from my Nvidia control panel.

Could somebody else with a setup similar to mine confirm they have the same problem? Any solutions to the problem?

Last edited by john bentley on 15 Dec 2012, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 17:14 

Answering my own question...

On the official Nvidia forums there is Nvidia Surround on Windows 8. Many users report the same issue. One user reports the issue still not fixed in the 310.54 beta driver.

Josh@NVIDIA, Moderator reports
Quote:
these 2 features are still being worked on, and will be added as soon as possible.

So whether I can get a third party solution to work or not (like matrox) I think I'll just wait for the official fix, given that switching between gaminng (span/surround) mode and working (independent) mode is relatively easy.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 02:26 
Administrators
Administrators

john bentley wrote:
given that switching between gaminng (span/surround) mode and working (independent) mode is relatively easy.

How are you doing that? For me, it's a usability nightmare - a 20-some-odd step process in nVidia control panel to switch back and forth. We have a helpful post on the matter but it doesn't seem to work for me (perhaps because I'm using two cards in SLI, and they aren't plugged into a single card as I'm on the 5xx series?).

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 09:14 

Does anybody know a fix for this yet?
Im as above, windows 8
2x GTX580's SLI Driver: 314.22

*EDIT...

Found a fix that worked for me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymw6D2iB-1Y

Love it when things work...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 10:52 
Administrators
Administrators

Glad you found a solution that works, thanks for sharing it for others.

I'm happily still in Win7 4 screens without issue, can still maximise to any window. I don't know why anyone would work in extended desktop mode anymore tbh.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 19:08 

I hope the next driver adds this feature. I just upgraded to windows 8 and didn't realize how important it was.