Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
Last visit was: less than a minute ago It is currently 05 Dec 2020, 07:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2005, 03:02 

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/products/displays/tft/scaleoview_w19-1.html

Part I

The first impression was very good. The whole monitor looks very nicely built. The stand and back of the monitor are, of course, plastic, but they don't look cheap like in LG's case (I also own an LG 1730S - owned, as I sold it already). The bezel si very thin and I had to twist my LG a little to hide its bezel as it's a lot thicker. The only possibility to adjust the panel is by tilting a little bit. The labels for the buttons are on the front of the bezel, so you can see anytime which button you press. No more blind pressing with this one.

The quality of the panel is rather high, or at least higher than my LG, as it has better view angles. Native resolution is 1440*900 and max refresh is 60, though at all times the info menu of the monitor shows me 59. Setting the monitor to 1280*1024 was ok, but choosing fixed aspect ratio from drivers resulted in garbage all over the screen (horizontal and oblique lines). The monitor has brightness, contrast and black level settings and they all go from 0 to 100 in 1 increments (which is very unprofessional but I'll detail that later). It also has three color temperature presets (6500K, 9300K and Native) plus individual settings for R,G and B. What's this Native is unclear but it seems to set the monitor somewhere in between as it loses the bluish nuance and it's not that yellow as in 6500K's case. It also makes the image a little brightier. The other settings are for :

- audio (though speakers must be in the back since all the bezel is very thin). I really didn't check this out since I don't care to listen to them.
- OSD language and position
- info menu with resolution and h/v freqs

I connected the monitor over DVI and I choosed dualview from my nview settings with Fujitsu as primary monitor. There are no drivers shipping with it (inf file), but you don't need one. Installation is easy and setup the same.

Once I installed it, I began tweaking the brightnes/contrast settings. Now, the black level setting is extremely confusing because black level is the meaning for brightness. Equasion here (taken from http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#Gammabox which is a very fine tutorial with lots of useful links):

Luminance = C * value(at)gamma + black level

C is set by the monitor Contrast control. Value is the pixel level normalized to a maximum of 1. For an 8 bit monitor with pixel levels 0 - 255, value = (pixel level)/255. Black level is set by the (misnamed) monitor Brightness control.

Now, for the most confortable image contrast must usually go up to 100, brightness lowest possible for a good black representation and gamma or in my case black level somewhere in the middle (gamma does not affect black or white levels). I was so caught in the process, that I didn't install any monitor calibration software, but I'll do that and post results later. What I tried to do, and believe me it took a long while, was to match the image settings of both monitors. What I couldn't do was to match their colors, so I had to set that from drivers independatly for each monitor. Thank God I have nvidia.

Once I was done, I watched a few sequences from the dvd-rips I have on my hdd. First of all, low quality dvd or tv rips with low resolution don't look so nice in full screen. I had no dvd image on my hdd, but I'll get a few of them today and give it a try. Concerning aspect ratios, I was very impressed as it's a huge difference going from 4:3 or 5:4 to wide. I had to tweak from drivers the overlay settings a little bit and that was it.

Gaming on this monitor is a real treat. I have Stubbs the Zombie and CoD2 installed (i'm also a reviewer for a website so I get lots of games) and they both support widescreen. Unfortunately they were set to 1280*1024 so I had to change res (and restart game in Stubbs' case). CoD 2 also allows setting AR so I've set it to 16:10 and played a little bit. There was no trace of ghosting whatsoever, but it would have been really weird for an 8ms G2G monitor to show such a thing. I didn't see any major differences going from my 12ms LG to this one anyway. Everything is sharp and clear as it should be.

I also have on my hdd games like Cold War, NFS Most Wanted, FEAR, etc. NFS and Cold War do not support wide res as you already probably know so I had to play stretched. NFS is a little bit weird, but Cold War looks ok. I haven't tested FEAR yet.

That's almost everything. The only problem I have now has nothing to do with the monitor itself.

In most games the mouse pointer would leave the screen off to the second one which is very annoying, since left clicking on the second desktop minimizes the game. Is this normal to happen? The only games where it doesn't happen are Dragonshard (which btw does not support wide res) and Cold War, but it happens in CoD2 and Stubbs. I thought that I could switch to single display when gaming for a long time, but if you have other solutions they are more than welcomed.

Ultramon fixes the problem as you can set a hotkey for blocking the cursor on your primary monitor. IMHO, it's a nice tiny utility that any dual monitor user should get.

If you have an ATI card you should try setting the monitors in mirrorring mode and you'll get rid of this annoying problem (thanks Dougofthenorth).

Later edit - I got some HD clips (trailers for Doom, Shark Tale and Madagascar) and I was really amazed by their quality. I also found a sweet spot for tuning this monitor, but I will post the settings a little bit later as I'm not at home right now.

Part II

I got the second Fujitsu-Siemens W19-1 today. First, just let me tell you that dual widescreen is better than anything out there. I wanted to say "blowjob", but some of you might not consider it the best thing ever invented. Unfortunately! Anyway, let's continue. I hooked it on the D-Sub connection, the only one left, as the first monitor is already connected to the dvi port and the 6800GT doesn't have dual dvi. The monitor comes with dvi, d-sub, audio and power cables. I don't think I've mentioned that in the first part. I also don't think I've mentioned that it comes with a 36 months guarantee and it's VESA (wall mountable) compatible (thanks wazzay2k1).

I'll recap the menu as some features are disabled when connecting on the dvi.

Brightness/Contrast

Here you can set brightness/contrast/black level and if you connect on d-sub you'll get an auto level too. Check the first part to see how they work and the small tutorial in the end of this review.

Adjust image

H and V position as well as clock and phase. I had to click detect monitors a few times for the monitor to auto adjust correctly, as the text just kept on being blurry. After setting the d-sub as primary single monitor it auto adjusted itself correctly, so only then I enabled dual view and made it secondary.

Colour

OSD Settings

Advanced (Input selection, resolution notifier and factory recall)

Information

The monitor is absolutely dead/undead :D pixel free, though when I took it, they innitially wanted to give me one with two red subpixels lit, which means that the blue and green subpixel where dead. That makes four dead subpixels and they were on the right side of the screen. I asked for another one, I checked it, it was ok, so I took it. That's why I don't like to buy online such things :D

Someone said to try fixed AR in a lower res, so I tried that in 1024*768 and 800*600. There is a thick black band which appears on the horizontal in the lower part of the screen and it occupies almost 1/5 of it. Basically, it doesn't work. The only way to use such resolutions is either stretched or centered, but when centered, it seemed stretched also.

If you have any other questions, just write here and I'll do my best to answer them. I consider this to be the best price/performance offerring ever, until something better comes out for the same price. Here it costs 330EUR incl VAT.

THIS IS WHERE THE SO CALLED TUTORIAL STARTS

How to adjust it:

There are only two rules when adjusting a monitor.

Rule 1: Always use the monitor settings first. Let video card settings on default and make all your adjustments from the monitor settings.

Rule 2: Only trust your eyes and your eyes only. Calibration software is good because it tells you how colours should look like, but the software cannot tell you how you want them to look like.

Respect these rules and you'll be happy.

Now let's begin tweaking it:

1. Set brightness to 65. If you scroll through brightness, yhou'll see that the screen doesn't get brighter after 65. Beats me why.

2. Let contrast as it is. (it should be 50 as this is the factory setting)

3. Lower black level a little bit. Lets say 45 (default is 50). You'll see that black level is the only setting you need to adjust if you want a good black representation. In the first part I mentioned that contrast should always stay up to 100. This is true IF you don't spend too much time in front of your computer. I found out that for long sessions, a contrast of 50 (or max 60 if you want) is more than enough, cause high contrast stresses your eyes badly.

4. Colour. Use either 9300K or Native. Native looks better, but the image is brightier overall. As I work with lots of text, 9300K is my favourite. You could try and set it from the R, B and G, but I'm a lazy one and didn't really try it. For a yellowish image go with 6500K, but this in combination with digital vibrance looks kina bad. I don't know how it looks on ATI cards, so if you like it, fine by me.

5. If you have an nvidia card, up the digital vibrance just a little bit, to the end of Low and beginning of Medium. You don't want too powerful colours, but just enough to get a pleasant image. Leave all the settings from the vid card intact(100/100/1.00). Now choose Overlay from the drop-down menu and set it 90/90/1.00.

As I don't have an ATI card now (though I had a 9700 for about two years), I cannot tell you how to set the monitor, but if you want vibrant colours it's obvious that you have to up the contrast and lower the brightness and black level settings. I see that many ppl here have ATI cards and I know ATI offers some pretty serious options in drivers, so fiddle with them and you'll get your perfect image.

Hope you enjoyed it. Good luck on tweaking your monitor and if you have any input just post here. This panel is a very good one for the money they ask for it and everyone should be proud of owning it. I know I'm twice as proud as I have two of them :D

I have lots of pics with them and as soon as I find a way to upload them somewhere, I'll post the link here.

Thanks to Dougofthenorth, Stretch, Vladica, wazzay2k1, AJH for their input and support. Couldn't do it without you.

Vlad (aka Deceneu)

thanks wazzay2k1 for hosting the pics (we will add more later)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2005, 03:43 
Founder
Founder

Wonderful !!!

Extremely well written.

BTW - ATI also allows for setting drivers for different monitors.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2005, 09:54 
Editors
Editors

Indeed it is, good review man. By the way, i have the exact same LG monitor now while waiting for my benq FP202W. What i wanted to know is, if you also have this massive backlight bleeding with it? Or is that just my bad luck again. :cry:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 16:17 

there was some backlighting with the LG. there is a little with the Fujitsu and it is more intense around the corners area (the rest of the panel is uniformly lit). IMHO, backlighting is a false issue. it generally depends on the settings you use and the quality of the lcd. low quality lcds can have a bigger difference in what concerns backlighting of different areas and that's why some areas are brightier than others. i've seen many lcds and there is a little backlighting difference on everyone of them, but some ppl have enhanced this problem so much that it has become like an urban legend. so what if there is a little backlighting difference on a blank screen. how many blank screens do u get when playing a game or watching a movie? of course, the LG has some backlighting problems (if I remember correclty it's more powerful on the sides), but the Fujitsu has only a little around the corners. anyway, this is how they do it. this is the technology available nowadays. i'll try to post a pic with the fujitsu backlighting for you to see that it's not such a major issue.

PS and if you look here

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/backlighting.html

it's more of a feature, than an issue.

click here for a short presentation of backlighting technologies

http://www.pacificdisplay.com/lcd_backlights.htm

this way you'll understand that backlighting is common and you cannot have an lcd without it. it's the method used for backlighting that makes the difference in terms of quality and cost.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 16:26 
Editors
Editors

I do know how backlighting works, it's just that my entire top and right edge is lit up like a candle. Ok, i'm a little exaggerating there, but i know for sure it's not normal it lights up this bad. I first had 2 of these monitors but i sold one to a friend because I ordered a FP202W. I decided to sell the one with the dead pixel over the one with the backlight bleeding since i noticed the dead pixel more, but on the sold screen the bleeding was WAAAYYY less.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 16:55 

the BenQ FP202W was my initial choice, but they decided to import the Fujitsu and as it's half the price, I had to go for it.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 23:17 
Founder
Founder

Wow! :shock:

That is one awesome review. Exactly what I was looking for. And those pics rock as well. Why settle for only one when you can have two, hehe! I'm definitely curious about availability with this monitor. Does anyone living in the US currently own one?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 01:13 

Thanks Deceneu!!

As i said in the other post.... i am currently waiting upon delivery of my monitor, and VESA wallmount kit....

Pics will be on there was ASAP!!!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 13:47 

I have more pics now....I'll post them today if wazzay2k1 is kind to host them. One quick note about the backlighting pic. The second monitor doesn't even have that small bleeding in the corner. The second monitor is almost perfect from this point of view.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 16:37 

I have more pics now....I'll post them today if wazzay2k1 is kind to host them. One quick note about the backlighting pic. The second monitor doesn't even have that small bleeding in the corner. The second monitor is almost perfect from this point of view.

No worries.... send them over :D

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next