Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 06:15 

Anyone know if this is possible to fix? The HUD and all of the menus are stretched in non 16:9 aspect ratios. I know you can fix the cutscenes by re-encoding them with built in letter boxing, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there for the UI.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 19:14 

I'm interested in this one as well. Got my money's worth from this game last year, played through multiple endings. Awesome game. I would happily revisit it, and the DLC with these improvements.

I wonder if it's a can of worms though. The game has so many perspective changes, especially in late game content, that I worry about creating conflicts with any fix.

Also, any fix would have to be compatible with the FAR mod, which fixes many other broken elements of the PC port.

BTW, re-encoding the FMVs does not work at present for triple wide.

That being said, if someone takes this on, as usual, I'm happy to donate for a fix that includes triple wide support.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 01:40 

Regarding the UI, I found this post on reddit from user Erewego on how he made his PS4 button prompt UI mod:

Quote:
I used CriPakTools to unpack CPK files and DTT2DDS (old tool by Haoose, made for Metal Gear Rising) to get DDS textures and pack them back into DTT. It refused to repack .dtt if new .dds file size was less than the original though, padding file with zeroes at end fixed the issue. And editing DDS is rather straight forward - there's a GIMP plugin, but I imagine any converter will work as long as it preserves alpha channel and can export with BC3/DXT5 compression.

Here's the links that were in the post:
https://github.com/wmltogether/CriPakTools
https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=91558#p91558
https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/

This let's us know that the UI is moddable, and how we can get those files. In theory, for 21:9 UI files, could one reduce the width of each UI image to 66%, so when the game stretches them they'll be at 100% size? This may result in the quality of the images being reduced, but should work, or am I mistaken? I'm currently trying this with the button prompts, and I'll let you guys know how it works once I'm done repacking them.

Note: to pad the files, I'm using https://github.com/dbat/truncate to resize them to be larger than the original.

EDIT: So, I just managed to scale down all the buttons as a test, and repacked the DTT, but when I launched the game all the button prompts were just black squares. I can upload the .dds file with the modified button sizes if anyone else wants to give it a shot. Not sure if the issue was with the .dds I edited, or if the .dtt got messed up somehow when repacking :/

EDIT 2: I've uploaded the .dds's that I've modified, as well as the GIMP file I used to edit the buttons, in case anyone else wants to take a look at it.

EDIT 3: None of this works pls ignore, dl the fix from the post below mine.

Attachments:
21_9_Buttons_WIP.7z [17.3 KiB]
Downloaded 414 times

Last edited by Subatomic Penetration on 17 Jan 2018, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 23:01 
Insiders
Insiders

Copy all content from archive in the game folder, depending on the desired resolution. You can try to replace only NieRAutomata.exe, to not lose online features, but there is no guarantee that this will work.
Download all 6 parts of archive and start unpack it from first part - NIER_HUD.part01.rar

NIER_HUD.part01.rar
NIER_HUD.part02.rar
NIER_HUD.part03.rar
NIER_HUD.part04.rar
NIER_HUD.part05.rar
NIER_HUD.part06.rar

Attachments:
NieRAutomata_3.jpg
NieRAutomata_3.jpg [ 385.9 KiB | Viewed 20018 times ]
NieRAutomata_2.jpg
NieRAutomata_2.jpg [ 398.45 KiB | Viewed 20023 times ]
NieRAutomata_1.jpg
NieRAutomata_1.jpg [ 859.6 KiB | Viewed 20020 times ]
NieRAutomata_0.jpg
NieRAutomata_0.jpg [ 240.06 KiB | Viewed 20021 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:22 

WHAT

This works perfectly, thanks so much, this is amazing! It seems to work fine with only the .exe as well.

This is also way better than the bootleg stuff I was trying to do lol

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:42 

Oh wow, that looks awesome! Jackfuste again!

Unfortunately, for triple wide, I can't get it working just yet. Internal error when opening .exe
Subatomic, are you using the FAR mod? I wonder if this is where the conflict arises.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:42 

esteady1 wrote:
Oh wow, that looks awesome! Jackfuste again!

Unfortunately, for triple wide, I can't get it working just yet. Internal error when opening .exe
Subatomic, are you using the FAR mod? I wonder if this is where the conflict arises.

I am using FAR with the 2560x1080 .exe

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:44 

Can you tell me how you unpacked these files? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 02:10 

esteady1 wrote:
Can you tell me how you unpacked these files? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here.

I just made a new folder, popped the 6 rar parts into it, then extracted the first part. With 7zip it extracts all six into one new folder and then you should be good to go to replace the exe

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 05:31 

Nope, it's working. Replacing the .exe works. Including the other steam related files gives me the error. Are these files essential for something?

The game looks and plays awesome in triple wide. Another title optimized for the PC master race. I should have requested this last year!

Thanks Jack. Donation incoming.

(As usual, I will begin the debug process and report what I find).