Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 02:31 

VR support but no 21:9 support...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 12:18 
Insiders
Insiders

First they ruined Resident Evil by making it First Person.

Now they don't even add 21:9 support?

But I think Capcom will add 21:9 support soon.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 16:11 

SAMI wrote:

It's not "ruined," this is the best Resident Evil in years. It's an awesome game but the lack of ultrawide support is baffling, considering VR.

That said, I'm currently playing with black bars and, while it still sucks, it's not as bad as some games since much of the game is dark & you can only see a by the narrow cone of a flashlight.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 16:59 
Insiders
Insiders

matthias wrote:
SAMI wrote:

It's not "ruined," this is the best Resident Evil in years. It's an awesome game but the lack of ultrawide support is baffling, considering VR.

That said, I'm currently playing with black bars and, while it still sucks, it's not as bad as some games since much of the game is dark & you can only see a by the narrow cone of a flashlight.

Well, that's your opinion.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 17:19 
Insiders
Insiders

matthias wrote:
SAMI wrote:

:sick:

Meh, no game, not even Half Life 3 would make me want to play with black bars on the sides. I may as well box my monitor up and send it back to Dell so I can play on my 16x9 side monitor.

My 'fix' for this has been to ignore RE7 and play through SOMA, a game that has perfect 21:9 support out of the box.

I just don't see how someone with an ultrawide screen is ok with spending $60 on a game that doesn't work properly with their setup...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 18:31 

Slinky wrote:
matthias wrote:
SAMI wrote:

Meh, no game, not even Half Life 3 would make me want to play with black bars on the sides. I may as well box my monitor up and send it back to Dell so I can play on my 16x9 side monitor.

My 'fix' for this has been to ignore RE7 and play through SOMA, a game that has perfect 21:9 support out of the box.

I just don't see how someone with an ultrawide screen is ok with spending $60 on a game that doesn't work properly with their setup...

When 4 came out people disliked the view as well. I found the tank controls pretty unwieldy with K+M.

I'm not trying to give Capcom a pass, but I've heard that Ultrawide isn't very popular in Japan. I'm not sure how true that this, I haven't really investigated it. Regardless, its one of the most asked for addition to an upcoming patch.

That being said, I'd take black bars with smooth fps over 21:9 with sketchy framerates like The Evil Within.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 19:14 

Slinky wrote:
matthias wrote:
SAMI wrote:

I guess when you play as many games as I do, you learn to roll with the punches. It'd hate to have to force myself not to play some of the year's best games just because the aspect ratio isn't ideal. Not that I wouldn't love to play this game in ultrawide, but if you start boxing up PC parts just because a specific game doesn't utilize them to their fullest potential, you're eventually going to be sitting in a chair staring at an empty desk.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 19:35 
Insiders
Insiders

Hahaha, I can't help but laugh at this. The amount of games that don't support ultrawide is minimal dude. I have 200 games in my steam library, totaling $3,500 in value according to some steam account worth calculator thing, and I'd wager that more than 80% of those games work in ultrawide or have some sort of fix available to get it working in ultrawide. I am by no means going to start boxing up PC parts just because one game doesn't support it. The majority of games that release this year will likely work just fine in 21:9.

My point I'm making is I don't see why someone with an ultrawide gaming setup would spend $60 on a game that doesn't work properly with their setup. There are plenty of $10-$20 games that work in 21:9 just fine, therefore I cannot justify $60 for lazy development. Hell, the resolution is even in the options menu, they just chose to put black bars up on ultrawide aspect ratios. I think you took the sarcasm in my previous post a little too literally.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 20:15 

Slinky wrote:
Hahaha, I can't help but laugh at this. The amount of games that don't support ultrawide is minimal dude. I have 200 games in my steam library, totaling $3,500 in value according to some steam account worth calculator thing, and I'd wager that more than 80% of those games work in ultrawide or have some sort of fix available to get it working in ultrawide. I am by no means going to start boxing up PC parts just because one game doesn't support it. The majority of games that release this year will likely work just fine in 21:9.

My point I'm making is I don't see why someone with an ultrawide gaming setup would spend $60 on a game that doesn't work properly with their setup. There are plenty of $10-$20 games that work in 21:9 just fine, therefore I cannot justify $60 for lazy development. Hell, the resolution is even in the options menu, they just chose to put black bars up on ultrawide aspect ratios. I think you took the sarcasm in my previous post a little too literally.

Computer hardware for ultrawide is pretty expensive. $60 to some people is more money than to others. I am also a sucker for advertising. :lol: I agree that its very lazy development, but fans of the series have been waiting a long time for this game. I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment. I could also be saying that because playing at 1440 with black bars is much more tolerable than playing at 1080 with black bars.

Do I think that 21:9 should be supported by all games? Definitely.

At the very least you should be able to have the option to tweak the config files or hex to make it work. The fact that I can't is pretty bunk. It's like buying a car that requires you to go to the shop to install windshield wipers.

Voting with your wallet is always the best option, and I didn't this time. =/

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 20:17 

Slinky wrote:

That's cool, don't buy the game.. not sure why you're in this thread, though? Just to complain about the price and bash the devs? I'm here cuz I own the game & am waiting for one of the awesomely skilled members of this forum to offer up a fix, and also to mention that the game is quite playable even with the boxing, due to the flashlight mechanic. I almost waited on playing it, but remembering the demo experience, I went for it and I'm glad I did cuz it's a great game, despite the lack of 21:9.

And by the way, most of those 200 games in your Steam library did not support ultra-wide out of the box, especially if they're more than 1-2 years old. The vast majority of games that are playable in 21:9 are that way because of ini tweaks or Flawless Widescreen/Widescreen fixer. RE7 will be added to that list eventually. 'til then, enjoy SOMA. It's a great game, but I've beaten it too many times to want to play it again when RE7 is out :)

eta: poster above makes a valid point; $60 is nothing to me, and this is my hobby so I'm glad to spend any amount of money on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next