Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 21:01 

I installed the demo today (edit: and tested after the release). I want to report that the previous game solution works perfectly fine for it as well.

To sum it up, search for 3FE38E39 as hex in Cheat Engine, replace it with 4017b426 at the green highlighted addresses. Press alt+enter in the game twice to apply the changes. You'll probably have to repeat this at each chapter.

I also quickly made a trainer that may or may not work for everyone. Try it out:
Attachment:
TWD Final Season Ultrawide.zip [4.7 MiB]
Downloaded 1501 times

Run it after the game, start the episode, press F5, then alt+enter in the game twice.

Attachment:
20180811010655_1.jpg
20180811010655_1.jpg [ 916.07 KiB | Viewed 11100 times ]

Attachment:
20180811010125_1.jpg
20180811010125_1.jpg [ 816.57 KiB | Viewed 11104 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 16:19 

It says it's a virus and I can't download it.
What can I do ?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 16:38 

trainer always being flagged , add the file exclusions to your anti virus app

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 17:36 

Thank you

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2018, 10:21 

Hey, just registered here after lurking for many years.

This fix also works for Batman - An Enemy Within (works for Batman 1 as well, but there are two black bars on the top and bottom in the middle of the screen hardcoded that I haven't figured out how to disable, so it's not worth it currently).

You can actually get around the need to press alt+enter whenever it changes back to 16:9. Here's how you can do it with cheat engine:

Search for "F3 0F 11 05 ?? ?? ?? ?? 74 07 C6 05 ?? ?? ?? ?? 01" with a Value Type of "Array of byte" and Writable unchecked, and then right click the result and click "Disassemble memory region" and right click the highlighted line in Memory viewer and click "Replace with code that does nothing" and then press OK.

Full details below, if that pattern search doesn't work with your game.

Spoiler:
Find the green addresses for "3fe38e39" and right click each of them and click "Find out what writes to this address," then go into an episode and as soon as you load in press escape and go back to main menu. Alt tab to cheat engine and you should have an instruction hit.

Attachment:
instructionhit.png
instructionhit.png [ 13.71 KiB | Viewed 10441 times ]

Right click it and click "Replace with code that does nothing," then click OK.

Do this for all of the hits if more than one of the green addresses had an instruction write to it.

Then replace the green addresses' values with either "4017b426" for 2560x1080 or "4018e38e" for 3440x1440 and enter an episode. You should be good to go.

If you want to avoid having to do this every time or having to use a trainer to do it, you can also patch the EXE this way.

To do this, take the code in the "Bytes" column, in my case with Batman it's "F3 0F11 05 F5ADF400" and copy it, then in cheat engine click File->Open File and open WalkingDead4.exe (or the executable name of an eligible TellTale title).

You may have more than one that you need to do this on, however it *should* just be one.

Search as Hex, with a Value Type of "Array of byte." and put in the bytecode you took from memory view. You should only have one address popup in the search box.

Attachment:
bytesearch.png
bytesearch.png [ 29.18 KiB | Viewed 10458 times ]

Right click the result and click "Disassemble memory region," then right click the highlighted line and click "Replace with code that does nothing" and click OK. You can close the memory viewer now.

Then click new scan and search for "39 8E E3 3F" and change all of the values to (again) either "26 B4 17 40" for 2560x1080 or "8E E3 18 40" for 3440x1440. Go to File->Save File and save it to your game directory. I'd make a backup of your original exe if you are going to overwrite it, or just save it under a different name, at least with the GOG version you can still run it regardless of its name. And you're done, now whenever you launch the game it should Just Work™ and you never have to worry about pressing some trainer hotkey or pressing alt+enter to toggle back to fullscreen.

I made a utility to do this automatically for the layman, you can download the latest version here.

I've only tested it successfully on the GOG versions of Batman, Batman 2, and Walking Dead: The Final Season. If you want to test it out on other TellTale games, feel free and let me know if it works. I tested Borderlands too, it doesn't work on there but Flawless Widescreen does so it's not worth fixing. It'll automatically make a backup of your game exe in the game's folder so if anything breaks just delete the game exe and rename the .bak file back to .exe

EDIT: Just released version 1.1 with support for Steam versions!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 12:48 

Hi. Thx for your efforts guys for bringing us the best UW performance unless some developers neglect it even sometimes ....though...

So i have already finished previous episodes with your trainer it worked perfectly for me.

Today i installed the game with the latest episode and tried to apply the trainer as i did before but my attempts were unsuccessful :(

The game does not want to start in 21:9 mode. I guess some files changed in game itself ? If so could you please update your trainer again or clarify the situation?

Thx a lot!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 19:13 

Rose wrote:
I installed the demo today (edit: and tested after the release). I want to report that the previous game solution To sum it up, search for 3FE38E39 as hex in Cheat Engine, replace it with 4017b426 at the green highlighted addresses

It does not work on the final version of the game. Your patches are not working here either.
We need a new solution :shock:

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 11:59 

PhantomGamers wrote:
I made a utility to do this automatically for the layman, you can download the latest version here.

1.2.3 version did not work for me. It gives an error Steam. I downloaded the very first version and it helped. Thank you bro :twothumb: https://github.com/PhantomGamers/TellTa ... ag/1.0.0.0
Attachment:
Screenshot_35.jpg
Screenshot_35.jpg [ 2.65 MiB | Viewed 8916 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 18:58 

Yeah, I haven't updated the trainer because I now use PhantomGamers' patcher as well. The patterns are still applicable.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 21:30 

Rose wrote:
Yeah, I haven't updated the trainer because I now use PhantomGamers' patcher as well. The patterns are still applicable.

Through CheatEngine it doesn't work anymore