Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 12:13 

Hello guys,

after EA closed the server the game battleforge is coming back as a fan project. Site: http://forum.bfreborn.com/
Does someone remember if this game had support for ultrawide resolutions such as 3440:1440?
Unfortunately battleforge is not in the Games DB...
I would love to hear that it has full support :-)

Greetings Falkum

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 12:35 

I'd also like to know the answer to this, in case anyone remembers running the game at the above mentioned screen ratio.
Or if someone managed to archive the database section for Battleforge, as the solution might well be there.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 01:56 

Falkum wrote:
Hello guys,

after EA closed the server the game battleforge is coming back as a fan project. Site: http://forum.bfreborn.com/
Does someone remember if this game had support for ultrawide resolutions such as 3440:1440?
Unfortunately battleforge is not in the Games DB...
I would love to hear that it has full support :-)

Greetings Falkum

It did. It was pretty well done as far as I remember. The intro, and the first menu were stretched similar to like Borderlands. The 3D image was scaled correctly in 48:9 and 48:10, and the lighting, shadow, and screenspace effects were calculated and rendered at the correct resolution. Same goes for the actual 3D objects(Meshes etc..). In other words all the things rendered that have a physical location in frame(Will be at X,Y,Z). The Pre/Post-processing all seemed to be fine, so if a given shader(s) required data that had to know the current resolution in order to be calculated correctly (perhaps some function indexing texels for pixel location/amount) it was apparently getting said correct data. The only thing I'm fuzzy on is the UI. For some reason I think it was spanned and a little large; but it was either fixable with custom UI scaling and placement in the HUD options. Or it might have been a LUA script that fixed it. I want to say Battleforge let the users run some kind of scripting language, similar to WoW. We are talking about the MMO-ish/CCG right?

Anyways, there's another long winded answer for the pile. After all of that I still can't say what 21:9 will look like. However it should be completely fine. Unless the new community/devs start removing or breaking functionality. Which is entirely possible of course. That is also me assuming they have the original game code and assets, and this isn't them starting from scratch. Which would be less than ideal for all parties concerned.