Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 07:19 

only support 16:9.... :crazy:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 19:18 

wow.. that seriously sucks. when are these people going to learn

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 07:39 

WalleO wrote:
wow.. that seriously sucks. when are these people going to learn

The craziest thing is this is from Remedy Entertainment. The studio that made the Alan Wake games. Which had stellar support for Ultrawide. I made a topic asking about this on release day, but as per usual every post I've made on this account doesn't get a single reply. So I was waiting for someone else to make one.

I can't tell you how sad I am this is the case. I was so looking forward to playing this. It has to be a Universal App thing; and as per usual anyone who lays in bed with Microsoft comes out worse off then when they started.

Just to be thorough, did you by any chance open up the config files and see if there was anyway to force your resolution and aspect ratio? Was there no resolution option for you, or was it available but broken, and if so what was wrong with it? I ask because this is supposed to be just an update to the same in house engine they have been using. It seems crazy that an engine that had near flawless scaling and rendering for every resolution under the sun would get an update to an even more robust API, picking up some very complex features while dropping simple resolution support. Unless of course those features somehow broke image rendering on wider aspect ratios. I have to believe this is something dictated by the platform or just laziness on Remedy's part. I mean the in game cut-scenes are streamed like video to your machine you can't even have local copies. This screams of some idiot somewhere up the chain thinking they are forward thinking and innovative and failing to understand how absolutely absurd that idea is. That's only for PC by the way you can have the whole game if it's on your X-Box. I am having a hard time thinking of a more ignorant idea than that. Seriously, I can't think of any design choice in a game that is more out of place (and undoubtedly poorly executed). This will ensure a poor experience for a significant amount of the people that bought the game. Anyone with a bad connection, or an ISP who didn't get the memo (and money from Microsoft) to let high quality video through their obscenely bad QoS is going to get a video so compressed and low in resolution it ruins the experience. Imagine if they are using Bink how bad it will look. I should stop before this gets too long. So that's the end of my probably terribly written while frustrated rant. :sick: :sick: :sick:

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 19:06 

It's not a universal app issue seeing as how Gears of War and Rise of the Tomb Raider work perfectly fine in ultrawide resolutions.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 19:40 

I just wanted to chime in here, i registered just to reply. I have tried to dabble in the config files of Quantum Break and found the settings but when i change the res to 3440 x 1440 and save the file as read only it crashes the game because its trying to access the file for the settings when it starts. If I change settings and save without read only the game launches in 1920 x 1080.

The only way i can even remotely play this game is to launch it in windowed mode with settings on ultra which maxes the resolution and physically drag the window to get the biggest image can, but its certainly not ultrawide. Its so frustrating because they have the higher res setting in there but 1440p? no chance. If anybody has seen a fix for this I would really appreciate a response and thank you to the original poster for bringing it to the forums originally.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 12:08 

The game now supports Ultrawide resolutions correctly.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 15:20 

danjames92 wrote:
The game now supports Ultrawide resolutions correctly.

Can confirm, works fine now.
Developers have implemented it. (source)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 16:26 

Cutscenes seems to still switch back to 16:9, even those interactable cutscenes that are rendered ingame.
Anyone knows a fix here?

Witcher 3 had that hex modification of the witcher3.exe executable.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 19:34 

Just an really late update:
The rendered cutscenes can be 'unlocked' - yes exactly like those in Witcher 3 - same procedure.

You can either follow the steps bellow or grab the modified .exe

1) Remove Steam DRM with Steamless
- Point Steamless to QuantumBreak.exe and let it do it's thing - it will create QuantumBreak.exe_unpacked.exe

2) Modify the unpacked .exe by replacing 2 occurrences of 16:9 (398EE33F) with (8AE31840)
3) Save it! Watch time freeze in 21:9 :rockout:

Modified .exe:
Fix available from the PC Gaming Wiki Community Files (search there)

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

EDIT: I just noticed that there are missing horizontal lines on top and bottom 6 pixels in height. :think:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133138