Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 07:24 

So, I just got a new 21:9 ultra-wide, and my rig is a little outdated (I'm updating in a few months). Some games are tough to get to work in 21:9 resolutions, and windowed modes leave windows on in the background that distract from the game. My monitor doesn't pillarbox when playing on a lower resolution and will just scale the the image to fit my screen. It causes it to be distorted. To force my monitor to pillarbox would this be a setting in my gpu software suite? Windows resolution settings? or in the actual monitor hardware menu?

Sorry, I'm new to this.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 06:52 

Well, I worked on this after I got home yesterday. I thought I would try here in case someone had already figured this out, but I went home and fiddled with the settings of my PC for a while to figure it out.

I have an XR341CK monitor and a GTX 750ti gpu. The fix was in the monitor settings for me, but the NVIDIA control panel had some options that I found that might possibly work if your monitor doesn't scale your resolution to WIDE formats for you already.

Setting was called WIDE and it was hidden in the menu a ways and had three options

1) Wide ( said WIDE: WIDE)
2) Aspect <--- This was the winning setting it kept the aspect ratio it was outputting but scaled it to fill the top and bottom of the screen. No distortion on 2560x1440. Very little on 1080p.
3) 1:1 Keeps the aspect ratio without scaling the top as well. 1080p had no distortion but it's a small viewing window. 1680x1050 was like a small tablet sized screen.