Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 17:27 

Hi,beari. I was new only a few months ago.

Did you read the thread I mentioned a couple of posts higher called 'Grandpa needs a little reassurance''?

At the top of this page you'll see Board Index- Gaming -21:9 & Ultrawide. Click on 21:9 & Ultrawide (which is the Forum containing this thread and the Grandpa one I mentioned). Do glance down that thread because the process had to be explained to me. At first I, too, was lost.

Check what version of Witcher 3 you are running -it's that fix version you need. I don't think Steam or Gog makes any difference. Then check where your Witcher3.exe file is.

Download the relative fix, then in the download file change its name so it exactly matches the name of the existing Witcher3 .exe file. i.e., Witcher3.exe or whatever it is.

Then copy and paste it into the folder containing the existing Witcher3.exe file and because the files have identical names you should get a pop-up message saying the file you are trying to put into the folder already exists in the folder and do you want to replace it. You do, and Bingo!

Good luck. Any help to you?

ETA- If I have said anything misleading here I hope someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 20:51 

Thanks a bunch for the help! I had done all that except modifying the test-file, but it's not working. I'm asking if all I should be doing is replacing the .exe with a file downloaded from here. If that's it, I've no idea why its not working. Maybe i've the wrong file, at first I used the one on the previous page posted by the witcher, then I tried the on from Athlonxp2400. Neither of those worked. I think im running the 1.30 version.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 11:50 

Gee, beari, I'm sorry things aren't working yet.

Yes, it's just a question of replacing the existing .exe with the fix one but they must be the same version and for you, the 3440 x 1440 version. Keep in mind that any subsequent patch that changes your version of Witcher 3 means you have to replace the .exe with a revised version of the fix.

If you were running 1.30 and used the 1.30 fix, then tried to play, if Steam then updated you to version 1.31 that would mean the 1.30 patch isn't going to work because you now need the 1.31 patch.

Have you tried running as is online, then checking what version of Witcher3 you have, then selecting the appropriate fix.

Maybe someone else can pin down where it's going wrong for you. At least you can keep trying.

ETA- Probably nothing to do with it but I presume your Acer Predator is set for 3440 x 1440 through a display port, and the Nvidia Control panel (if you are on Nvidia) is showing the required refresh rate. I had to reduce mine to 95hz because I crashed on 100hz.

Just mentioning out of interest - Rise of the Tomb Raider needs no tweaking for 3440 x 1440 on 21:9 although pre-rendered cut scenes are in 16:9. I didn't mind it and didn't find it particularly distracting.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 16:34 

So it should be that easy. Well I've done it, and its not working. I presume I was on 1.30, but it changes with the exe i use. I've tried both tho so it shouldnt be an issue. So I just replace the exe in x64 folder with the .exe? Do i need to tinker with the options in the game after i change the exe? Should i just reinstall? Are others playing the GOTY version on steam without these issues? Why did my W3 show im 1.30 if 1.31 is the newest version, shouldnt steam update it automatically? I'm lost, and I really would like to enjoy the game wihtout letterboxes. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, W3 and Dota2 not working with 21:9, dissapointed in 21:9 so far when it comes to gaming...

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 17:42 

I'm sorry things are still not working for you, beari, but I don't know what else to say. I obviously can't answer for Steam but the version is always shown in the Witcher opening page.

Check the Options by all means to see your choices are connected.

When exactly does the game crash?

Hope someone else chimes in shortly either to assist or to say the fix worked for them.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 18:10 

My game isn't crashing, the cutscenes and starting screen are simply in the wrong aspect ratio. The game is working perfectly in 21:9. The version is shown in the opening page, but it changes with the exe I use (if i use 1.31 fix it says 1.31 and if i use 1.30 fix, it says 1.30). Anyhow, it isn't working. I'm giving up, here's hoping the devs do something official to make it work.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 20:13 

From Amoveo's post to me in April in the 'Grandpa needs a little assurance 'thread to which I referred you earlier and which I presumed you had read.

Removing Black Bars from Cutscenes
Download either the 2560x1080 or the 3440x1440 exe based on your intention.
Find your Witcher 3 exe (Likely places include C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and wherever you install GOG games.
Take the exe you downloaded and replace your Witcher 3 exe with it (this is totally reversible but you can copy the original exe somewhere else for safekeeping if you feel better.)

Then in order to fix the UI to make it move to the far corners of the screen .

Moving the UI to the edges
Go to Documents\The Witcher 3
Open the User.settings Folder with notepad.
The seventh line from the top should be uiHorizontalFrameScale=1, change it to uiHorizontalFrameScale=1.3
Save the document
Right Click it and choose properties to open up a little properties window for the document
Check the Read-only box and click ok

You say you've done everything - but I'm just checking you did these last steps re the UI.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 22:18 

I did the HUD thing, but it has no effect on cutscenes. It does, however, move the hud elements offscreen so i just leave it at 1. It seems like the fix should just happen by replacing the .exe, and it's not happening. It seems you are playing the vanilla W3 from GOG. Don't know if the issue is with the fact im running the GOTY with Steam. I really do appreciate the help, it's just not working for me.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 16:52 

The Witcher 3 (v1.31) Ultra-Wide-Fix (3440x1440)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6tXt ... VVqV0NUaG8

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 17:53 

Good work, Angry Challenger. I hope that fix works for beari and that he checks back in to get it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next