Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 22:43 

I bought a LG 34UM94 (3440x1440, 21:9). My old monitor was a Dell 3007WFP-HC (2560x1600, 16:10). The change has been somewhat jarring and the LG is taking some getting used to. The first thing I noticed was the 2.75" vertical difference, which gives the illusion that it's "smaller" than the Dell. However, it's about 6.25" wider which is also quite noticeable and taking some getting used to (peripherally). These are not criticisms; only observations after having used a Dell 3007WFP-HC for 6 years. After 1 week, I'm finding that the LG is starting to grow on me.

The quality of the image appears to be better (more crisp). For me, the best view distance is roughly 30" from my face to the screen.

I've been running a bunch of games to test the 3440x1440 resolution and haven't encountered many problems, except the occasional stretched GUI. So far, I've had the best results with Dead Space. I overrode the in-game settings using Catalyst Control Center, and used Widescreen Fixer for the FOV, and the game looks amazing. It has breathed new life into it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2015, 16:56 
Editors
Editors

Sinbad wrote:
The quality of the image appears to be better (more crisp).
As a former 30" owner myself, I concur (Samsung 305T vs. AOC U3477pqu). Not only is the dot pitch slightly smaller, but the colors and pixel response time are also noticeably better. Not to mention putting your hand on the back of the monitor will not grill it. It's a shame 30" 16:10 monitors never had a second incarnation, but the ultrawide 34" beasts are pretty awesome on their own right.