Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 May 2015, 23:59 

I know that there is really no such thing as correct or standard FOV, but I've read in many places that correct/standard FOV for 16:9 is 82.5 horizontal and 53 vertical. Assuming that it is indeed a correct FOV for 16:9, what would be a correct FOV for 21:9 monitor (3440x1440, 34", CURVED) ??? I searched all over the internet and could not find any info on proper 21:9 FOV. Does having a curved screen make a difference to FOV?

PostPosted: 03 May 2015, 00:04 
Editors
Editors

Try this:
http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php

PostPosted: 06 May 2015, 19:36 

That FOV Calculator does not help at all. It requires you to input a FOV already... Or maybe I cannot figure it out?! It converts Horizontal FOV to Vertical FOV and wants to provide something for Eyefinity or Surround support for specific games, which is not what I am looking for. I need to know either the correct/standard Horizontal FOV or the correct/standard Vertical FOV VALUE for 21:9 aspect ratio displays. This is the Wide-Screen Gaming Forum and section for 21:9 aspect ratio displays. Does nobody truly know? If nobody knows here, then nobody knows at all, which is very very sad news...

If someone could at least tell me how Horizontal FOV of 82.5 / Vertical FOV of 53 was calculated/figured out/became standard for 16:9 ratio, then maybe I can use that info to figure our the correct FOV for 21:9 ratio. I am not seeking Horizontal to Vertical FOV conversion formula, NOT THESE FORMULAS:

PostPosted: 07 May 2015, 23:20 
Editors
Editors

Hi,
please excuse my short answer last week. I was browsing the forums on my phone, not really comfortable for long texts, even posting a link is a hassle.

The Answer is: There is no such thing as a correct FoV.
The Field of View is fixed by the game developer. If you wan't to know how to define the Field of View in a Game best ask a Game Developer.
I don't know any mathematical way to correctly calculate the Fiel of View, as in every caluclation you have the radius (distance from eye to the monitor) and this is not a constant Value, some user sit closer, others further away from their Monitors.
That said most Shooter games use a hFoV of roughly 90° on the PC and around 60° on the consoles, because a TV is way further ahead than a PC monitor.

For your specific question with the 21:9 Aspect Ratio, if you use the FoVCalc, input a 16:9 Ratio with your given 82.5° hFoV and your target 2560x1080 Resolution you get a new hFoV of about 98°

greetings
Haldi

PostPosted: 08 May 2015, 00:15 

OH!!! My bad! I am so sorry, I did not realize how to use this tool!

The 82.5 value for Horizontal FOV came from somewhere. I have seen it numerous times and it was calculated based on human peripheral vision on 16:9 aspect ratio. There's only so much you're supposed to see in front of you. Its not about being standard, but being ACCURATE. Otherwise you can say that FOV of 360 can be a preference, but the image would be highly inaccurate. There's a limit past which you're going to see more than human vision is capable of seeing in real life, especially since you see a monitor using your frontal vision, not peripheral. I can't find the exact origin of where that value came from. I do know that there's got to be a point at which you're seeing too much in front of you and I believe horizontal 82.5 is that point.