Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 21:49 

I was looking for a general software forum for this question, but I didn't see any here. However, I figure if anyone would know this, it would be the gamers here.

Does anyone know some good Bluray playback software that can actually take advantage of ultrawide screens? I just got a Dell U3415W, 3440X1440, and my Bluray playback tests with Nero's Bluray player and PowerDVD 14 have been poor. I just get black bars all the way around the screen. It's not really any better than watching it on a 24" 1080p screen surrounded by a large bezel. I'd like to get a player that can expand the playback to fit the screen properly. Any ideas?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 12:51 
Editors
Editors

:welcome
Dunno about software, but for starters your monitor's OSD menu must have settings for zooming/scaling the picture. This should help getting at least some of the windowboxing out of view.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 17:17 

Yeah, I really don't want to go through the monitor menu every time I play a movie. That would be most annoying.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 21:46 
Founder
Founder

I use SlySoft AnyDVD HD to remove the copy protection on the disks. You can then use VLC to playback, which offers formatting options to remove the black bars. I review that here:

http://youtu.be/gmXLTzTIOd8?t=6m27s

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 07:02 

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42062.page

Please check out this thread. Same problem here. I have huge black bars on the side of nero on top and bottom. I tried a demo of powerdvd and that fix works, but something more permanent should be done.

Any ideas? This is my first ultrawide monitor and probably the last because nothing seems to work without having to search the net for a file or a fix.

First post also!