Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WSGF and the Oculus Rift
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 22:37 
Founder
Founder

As many will remember we Kickstarted the Oculus Rift, thanks in no small part to a short donation drive we ran. We bought in right at the very end, and thus were one of the last people to get our unit. I received the WSGF about 10 days ago, but haven't had time to devote to it.

Seeing that I wouldn't have time in the near future, I put the call out to local WSGF members I knew to be interested. Last night I dropped the unit off with peanut, who previously wrote an article comparing 3x1080p 60Hz multi-mon to 1440 120Hz single screen.

He will be doing the initial unboxing and putting the unit through its initial paces. I expect some video footage from this before too long. After that we should be passing the unit off to TheDestroyer and Zencyde as well. We are also looking at the possibility of setting up an event to show it off and give more people time to check it out. If you're interested in that, please comment in the discussion thread.

In related news, Oculus demoed a 1080p version of the Rift at E3. The overall verdict is that it is much improved over the current dev, and a solid step in the right direction.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 08:28 

I'd love to see a few models, the standard 1080p for app 300 euros. and maybe a gamer edition with a 2560 x 1080 for 500 euros and eventually a extreme 4k version for probably around 800 euros. cater for all markets.

i have the developer kit, but currently only tf2 works properly, with the beta hf2 a close second. There are loads on the works, but they arnt released yet or still in beta which often is not playable.
The custom driver will allow you to play many games using the head tracking as a mouse emulator, but it's not the same as independent aim/ movement.

But i so want to play flight/space combat games which is where the rift will excel, again there are a few in the works, but not ready yet. The next few months should be intresting

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 09:12 
Editors
Editors

So it finally arrived. Looking forward to the unboxing video / reviews, or whatever peanut is preparing :)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 17:04 
Insiders
Insiders

:o
I think I gotta go change pants.

And fix my mascara...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 17:06 
Insiders
Insiders

And yes, I'll gladly tool around with it and do some video review. I can leave collateral or add my Razer Hydra to the borrowing circle if you'd like. :) I'm so excited, you have no idea.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 17:47 
Insiders
Insiders

I am more curious and interested in developing for it ^_^ Will any of the feedback cover these aspects?
I am interested for example how different is to make a game Occullus 3D Ready for example, how different is implementing stereo3D in it rather than 3D Vision or AMD 3D another example;)) anything to dev actually:)) ( I don't have a dev kit since I lacked the funds for it:)) ) but I am interested in the tech on the long run;))
Any techy stuff is welcome:)))

Thx in advance!

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 07:56 

So far support for games is limited, but many are in the works.
Only TF2 works the way it really should with aiming and looking been independent of each other, while some games will simply emulate head movement for aiming instead of mouse.

Some additional info.
http://vire.io/

http://oculusrift.com/index.php?sid=8b9 ... afb037b6a5

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 00:04 

My biggest concern is ocular fatigue. I wonder what's the effect of focusing on a screen inches from your eyes for hours.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 07:09 

There are loads on the works, but they arnt released yet or still in beta which often is not playable.
The custom driver will allow you to play many games using the head tracking as a mouse emulator, but it's not the same as independent aim/ movement.?