Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 May 2024, 04:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 13:16 
Administrators
Administrators

Race the Sun is a indie racing game of sorts from a company called Flippfly, the game is a little hard to classify, the basic goal is to race as far as you can before you hit something, the sun goes down, or your solar powered ship runs out of power. The current version of the game is locked to a 16:10 aspect ratio, but they will be unlocking all aspect ratios and resolutions before its final release, they also indicated they would look into removing the pillerboxing they are currently using so. If they do that then the only real issue this game should have left in terms of multi-monitor support will be the HUD.

But there is good news about that as well, similar to what Amplitude Studios are doing, anyone that pre-purchases the game gets votes they can use to help the developers choose what to work on, and they have said "there’s no reason we can’t put a votable item in next month for proper multi-screen setups, and let you guys decide if that’s important to you", so we can probably get them to implement it with enough support.

My conversation with the developer can be over on their forums here: Remove The Resolution and Aspect Ratio Limit
The video itself is just pure gameplay this time, I originally only made it to show the developers what their game cool do is they removed the limit, but since they've now published it on their social channels I'm putting it up publicly as well. To get this to work I did a sledgehammer to a walnut kind of hack to force the resolutions and aspect ratio change, the rest was automatically handled by Unity, the games engine.

Direct Video Link: Race The Sun Alpha (Hacked for Triple Monitors / Eyefinity / Surround) [~4K]
Channel Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/n11skid

While this video can be watched on any screen it has been encoded to look best on a multi-monitor system, so if your running such a system, then select original quality from the drop down box and watch in fullscreen.

You can find a demo of this game over on Kongregate, and if you wish to support the developers and pre-purchase and help with the multi-monitor vote when it comes around you can do that over on Flippfly's website. They are currently selling pre-purchases for 50% off, so only $5.

Some screenshots can be found here.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 15:28 
Administrators
Administrators

Good effort mate, nice to see they posted about it http://flippfly.com/news/race-the-sun-at-5040x1050/
:)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |