Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 20:01 
Founder
Founder

Over the past day or two you've probably seen the announcement of AMD's Catalyst "Omega" driver. I've been digging through the details in the press deck, and I've reached out ot AMD with a few clarifying questions. This article outlines the features that I think will be of most interest to gamers.

PicPic

Usually I don't both with video enhancements and updates in new drivers. Generally they don't impact me that much, and its' not worth digging into the details. I usually chalk it up to a set of general updates to performance and quality. The Omega driver includes a couple of enhancements that I think I will actually notice, so I think it's worth pointing them out.

The first is Contour Removal. This one is designed to clean up compression artifacts in movies, without impacting the detail. Pristine sources such as Blu-Ray rarely have to deal with the artifacts that appear in compressed/streamed media such as an iTunes movie.

When watching an iTunes movie, either on a PC or AppleTV, The "splotchy" color artifacts seen in gradients such as shadows and sky are readily apparent in blue sky or dark shadows. Contour Removal works to remove these artifacts, giving the compressed video a higher quality appearance, more akin to the original source.

The second set of features is used to enhance the overall quality and sharpness of video. "1080p Detail Enhancement" works to improve the quality of sub-1080p video, when played back on APU-based systems. This type of enhancement is well suited for an APU-powered HTPC, when playing back older and/or lower quality video content.

Similarly the Omega driver works to improve the quality of 1080p video when viewed on a 4k UHD display. This will be useful for anyone with a greater than 1080p display - be it 1440p, 1600p or 4k UHD. This type of detail enhancement will also come in handy when playing back 2:35 1080p video on an ultra-wide display (which is enlarged to fit the wider aspect ratio).

PicPicPic

Now, on to the gaming. Frame Pacing has been a nagging issue for AMD users with dual-GPUs. While performance increased with a second GPUs, the variability from one frame to the next also increased. AMD has worked over the last year to implement and improve Frame Pacing in its various driver releases. The Omega driver continues this trend with improvements on a number of titles.

AMD is also releasing a new technology called Virtual Super Resolution. This is similar to NVIDIA's "Dynamic Super Resolution". AMD's Virtual Super Resolution allows you to render games at a higher resolution, and then scale them down to your monitor's resolution for display. The benefit is higher resolution textures and more details in the image. It also simulates for SSAA (Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing) for games that don't support it.

This features also brings an additional reason for the WSGF to test games in 4k. If the game doesn't properly support 4k UHD, then you won't be able to successfully use Virtual Super Sampling. If the HUD or other elements don't work in 4k, then the game would be unplayable in VSA.

Currently, full 4k VSA is only available on the RP 285. The new board has additional hardware that is used for the 4k rendering without additional performance hit (over the 4k rendering itself). The R9 290 family allows scaling up to 3200x1800 - Quad 1600x900. AMD is working to release a new driver in the Jan/Feb timeframe that will add full 4k scaling to all R9 and R7 products, 260 and higher.

This will be a software solution, and will add a bit of extra overhead. Future hardware releases should have the necessary hardware for full 4k UHD scaling out of the box, without the extra performance hit.
PicPic

There are a number of other features in the release, many of which are outlined in these two slides. Some have already been touched on, such as the Frame Pacing improvements. The slides also lay out several improvements to setup and configuration: improved time for display enumeration, fewer clicks to install the driver, faster hardware autodetect, and distro-specific driver packages for Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise.

There is one feature that stands out amongst pack - Rotated Eyefinity Support. This feature, which allows for "PLP" (Portrait Landscape Portrait) Eyefinity configurations, is limited to the new R9 285. The solution requires additional hardware on the card, to handle the display rotation, and still give a single Eyefinity SLS (Single Large Surface).

Due to the hardware requirements, this feature is currently limited ot the R9 285, but will be supported in future hardware releases. I know that PLP has been a desired feature for quite some time. But, with the release of 21:9 panels, and the 3440x1440 panels in particular, I'm not sure how much demand there still is for PLP.

Traditionally, PLP has been thought of as a smaller widescreen or 4:3 panel, rotated to match the height of a center landscape panel in widescreen. A configuration of 1200x1600 - 2560x1600 - 1200 results in a resolution of 4960x1600 and an aspect ratio of 3:1. This compares to 21:9 3440x1440, which is 2.39:1.

Both of these configurations are significantly wider than 16:9 (1.78:1) or 16:10 (1.6:1), but I'm not sure that the PLP would be worth the extra hassle and cost - over a large 21:9 panel. I reached out to AMD to get some details about the support, and to see what use cases were supported, and received some interesting feedback.

Give the newer options for "Fit" and "Fill", you could do PLP using three widescreen monitors set in an "H" pattern. I know many folks (myself included) who like using a widescreen in portrait for web browsing, coding, or working on documents and spreadsheets. PLP in this setup would allos you to use a center section of each L/R monitor, adding extra field of vision beyond the center widescreen.

Pic

This could be really cool and allow for users to have 2xP and 1xL for regular "productivity" work, and then game in "greater than widescreen" - all without having to rotate monitors. Above is a mockup for how that might look.

PicPic

Like most drivers, the Omega release contains performance increases. Comparing to original launch, we're seeing an average of 10% - 20% increase in performance. While these numbers sound great, and any performance increase is welcome, we need to put them in context.

On the first bar of the first graph, we see that Batman: Arkham Origins has seen a 10% increase in performance wiht the R9 290X at 4k UHD. Given that the game only averaged just above 40fps, we're only looking at 4-5fps increase. With Bioshock Infinite, that 19% increase is only about 6fps.

Many of the APU increases at 1080p are a higher percent, and start from a higher baseline. This results in a larger absolute fps increase, and pushes several titles past the 40fps mark. Again, the performance improvements are always welcome, but some are minimal in terms of absolute fps.

PicPic

For this driver, AMD also reached out to the gaming community and asked for their help in creating a Top 10 list of bugs to squash. Several of the fixes were gaming related, involving 144Hz panels, and multi-GPU configurations. The full Top 10 list is located in the second slide, and you can contribute to an ongoing list by logging your issues at www.amd.com/report

PicPic

AMD's Gaming Evolved client from Raptr also saw an update, in that it can now capture, stream and benchmark with Mantle enabled. Mantle has been really well received by the development community, and has enabled significant performance improvement. But, it's been hard to measure or capture this, as program such as FRAPS leverage DirectX.

I'm excited about this option, as I'm working to move away from FRAPS (it often crashes when taking 4k UHD screenshots), and these update gives me one more tool to try out.

Finally, AMD has released the 3.0 update of TressFX. Beyond just seeing the lovely locks of Laura croft swing in the breeze, you could now see the hair of an animal company move realistically as its head was being scratched. The new release also comes with improvements and new features for developers.

PicPic

There were a few more bits released, such as support for FreeSync. This is AMD's open source solution for variable monitor refresh. There aren't any monitors out now, so it isn't a huge deal at this moment.

Samsung is releasing several 4k UHD monitors in 2015 with Freesync support. These are the UE590 (23.6" and 28"), and the UE850 (23.6", 27", and 31.5"). These will be welcome features to 4k gamers, where frame rates certainly suffer.

AMD also released support for Dell's 5k monitor, which runs at 5120x2800 (Quad 1440p). This panel won't be gaming focused, due to the insane pixel count of 14.7M pixels. The panel will require dual DisplayPort 1.2 inputs.

Also, if you've seen the reports of "Eyefinity 24", where you can run 24 displays off of four GPUS, don't get too excited. The support is limited to FirePro cards, and is intended for video walls and digital signage. Besides, the horsepower to push that would be enormous.

Lots of really good updates in this driver release, and a number of new feature releases, which will only improve with time. AMD has put together a huge update, and gamers should be excited about the new features, the performance improvements and a renewed interest to squash bugs and make installs easier.

Last edited by skipclarke on 21 Dec 2014, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 13:50 
Editors
Editors

This is a clever mini-feature indeed, but a far cry from actual PLP and "H pattern" support, isn't it ?
Both AMD and Nvidia will have to completely rethink their respective solutions before they can really *support* (not just adapt to) mismatched display configs, and finally start to challenge SoftTH in this field...

Somehow I don't see that happen.
(I'm more interested in TressFX and HairWorks tbh. Can't wait to play me some Flea Simulator over a triple-screen display covered in realistic dog fur fluttering in the breeze. The future is rad.)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 15:27 

4960x1600 is still better than 3440x1440 in my opinion as you are still getting more in both directions, i would not give up my 4960x1600 for 3440x1440.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 13:01 
Administrators
Administrators

I assume if you can run PLP in this H type setup then it is possible to run it in a 20/30/20 (1200x1600+2560x1600+1200x1600) configuration such as the attached pic?

Attachments:
plp.png
plp.png [ 614.44 KiB | Viewed 9860 times ]

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 14:49 
Founder
Founder

Delphium - Yes, that is the basic support that is expected. But as I noted in my original post, I'm not sure how popular or necessary this basic support is, now that we have 21:9 displays. The "H" was a unique config that I thought would give reason for PLP.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 22:10 
Administrators
Administrators

skipclarke wrote:
Delphium - Yes, that is the basic support that is expected.

Nice, I know many a folk have been looking for such for a long time.
Shame its currently tied to the new R9 285.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 00:10 
Editors
Editors

Aren't rumours that the new generation AMD cards are coming in February? They should also support this.

And now Imagine this beauty:AOC u3477Pqu
in 3440x1440 with two 1440x900 support Monitors on the side :D 5240x1440 3.638:1

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 12:59 

PlP support is awesome.
I just don't have horizontal space on my desk to sport anything bigger than 3*21" widescreens,
so I recently switched to a 21:9 and rotated my old 19" to portrait orientation ( planning to upgrade to 23" at some point )

While a 21:9 is kind of wide enough for gaming and doesn't require a killer machine to power it, it kind of makes me a sad panda to see the side-displays doing nothing.

I wish the market would have more options for matching side-screens. It's almost impossible to find matching screens with same bezels / pixel density

Haldi, I have 900*1400 screens as side-monitors atm, and unfotunately they don't provide enough horizontal space for productive work. most websites nowadays are 1024+ :(
Also, good luck finding matching 15.5" ones to match the pixel density of the 34" 21:9 :wtf:

Last edited by ChainSOV on 15 Dec 2014, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 13:20 
Editors
Editors

Delphium wrote:
I assume if you can run PLP in this H type setup then it is possible to run it in a 20/30/20 (1200x1600+2560x1600+1200x1600) configuration such as the attached pic?
Ahh yes, thanks for the clarification. Great news then :mrgreen: and time for Nvidia to follow suit.
Classic PLP may be a niche in the niche, but it makes much more sense than triple-HD in my book.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 20:49 

Delphium wrote:

skipclarke wrote:
Delphium - Yes, that is the basic support that is expected. But as I noted in my original post, I'm not sure how popular or necessary this basic support is, now that we have 21:9 displays. The "H" was a unique config that I thought would give reason for PLP.

Yeah, PLP was never huge to begin with, based on the rarity of 20" 1600x1200 panels (all of which have been discontinued by now)

Of those of us who did go this route, many have simply given up now, after 4+ years of hoping and praying for the support, but it never coming.

It does offer flexibility for gamers of the future, and whatever screens they can get their hands on though.

That being said, I still have mine, (Dell 2007FP 1200x1600 - Dell U3011 2560x1600 - Dell 2007FP 1200x1600), and I am REALLY looking forward to this feature.

I do like the breakdown of the announcement in this post, but ahve you guys been able to actually test mixed rotation Eyefinity?

The one user who has posted in these forums (and well, anywhere online) has been unsuccessful with his R9 285, and I'd like to see at least one successful test before spending the cash.

What my setup looked like 4 years ago (haha, still had an iPhone) and still mostly does:

I have different speakers now :p

Thanks,
Matt