Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 15:19 

So, I just got my third ASUS 27" 1440 monitor, got it running... it's awesome. Running 3 x 2560 x 1440. HOWEVER, since hooking it up, everytime I boot I get a message from the ASUS mobo that surges were detected and it forces me to go into the bios. Also, the new third monitor never works upon boot, without me power cycling it. I have read that the ASUS surge protection may be a little sketchy and some people have recommended just turning it off. This sounds like a bad idea to me. Combined with the fact that the new monitor never works without a power cycle.

I have a good 1000W power supply, but it is around 4 years old. I am using an AMD R9 295X2 GPU which is a power hungry, water cooled crossfire card(s), along with a few expansion cards I have added over the years.

It doesn't appear logical to me that adding a third monitor would put my PSU over it's limit but I'm not sure. Maybe the GPU is now drawing more power than before the third monitor? Maybe the PSU is just growing old and tired?

I am just looking for some informed opinions before I go drop another $300 $400 for a bigger PSU.

Thanks for any insight as to what may be going on.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 16:54 
Editors
Editors

I'm running a [email protected] and 2x R9 290 in crossfire on 1150mhz 1.3V the maximum Power draw I can reach is about 900W. So you should be totally inside the speccs.

The 3rd Monitor is never running in Bios mode, as it needs windows running for the GPU to use more than 2 Monitors.

Have you tried unplugging the GPU and using a different slot on the PSU? (if it is modular.)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8013 mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 17:01 

Your power draw is likely more than mine so I guess I am good there. I think my issue may have been with my surge protector. I had another one that I switched out for and so far after a few re-boots I do not have the issues. Plus the third monitor comes on with out a power cycle. When I unplugged all my stuff from the surge protector and hit the switch to turn it off it made an electrical "ZZZZTTT" sound. My dog even jumped up and ran to another room. I'll just keep an eye on things and hope it was the surge protector and not the PSU. I don't want to go through replacing a PSU again, not to mention the effort.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 21:18 

Guess I spoke too soon. Still throwing surge protection errors on boot. Guess I need to delve into doing some deeper testing of some sort. I'll try reseating the GPU. It has moved though. Is there a way to see the current draw or voltage drop across the entire system?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 22:40 
Editors
Editors

you could try software like GPU-Z, Aida64 and HWmon