Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 11:33 

Hello!

I'm still using my AMD Phenom II X965 wich most of the time is at 100% usage while playing any type of game. When I'm playing Rocket League and have Chrome running on another Monitor it doesn't run fluently.

So I have to upgrade, no doubt about it.

BUT I'm really short for money right now, like really short. So my idea was to wait für the whole Black Friday / Cyber Monday Thingy to get some sweet deals.

But I'm really not sure what to get actually: FX-6300 seems to be a good fit at around 90$/€ and maybe even lower when on sale. But will it be enough to last me sometime? Because next year all the cool new stuff is coming out and I hate to waste money on tech that's obsolete very soon.

Any ideas?

btw: 8GB Ram DDR3, RX480 8GB, Mainboard is AM3/+.

With lots of love,

BookrV.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 07:57 

To be honest, when it comes to gaming, all current AMD's are beaten by i3's.

There isn't a significant difference between the two processors, Intel is the best choice for gaming at the moment. Of course that would also mean a new motherboard which is out of your budget at the moment.

Personally, I would save up and just get an Intel CPU as the $90 isn't worth the upgrade or cost for the small difference it would make.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 12:50 
Editors
Editors

save up for next year and wait for ZEN with ddr4.
If you really need it right now, then spend it. There is always better and newer technology coming in the future.
But the FX6300 is indeed not really futureproof.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 23:46 

Intel Core I7 for socket 2011 are "out of live". so u find this cpu for around 150€. still on top ten of cpus.

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 07:35 

zens wrote:
Intel Core I7 for socket 2011 are "out of live". so u find this cpu for around 150€. still on top ten of cpus.

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

The 3820 is still an excellent performing CPU. Far more powerful than any AMD processor available currently. There is also a very significant detail some may not remember about this chip. All of the subsequent generations of extreme edition Intel CPU's have traded cache and or cores for PCI-e lanes on the entry level enthusiast chips. This is a significant detail insofar as more than 4 cores just isn't necessary for a purely gaming computer; while having 40 PCI-e lanes can be a massive boon for anyone with more than one graphics card or multiple expansion cards.

The lack of competition (or even a competitor at this point) on the high end CPU range means there have been no huge leaps forward in technology between the last few generations of Intel CPU's. They have made significant progress with iGPU's and power consumption, however neither of those things are particularly relevant for enthusiasts. Meaning in practical application the only improvement has been the incremental 7-10% increase in instructions per clock (IPC) with each generation. Which is nice for a die shrink but leaves something to be desired for every second generation which is an architecture change.

Edit: Just in case it isn't clear, the last paragraph is meant to infer the 3820's performance is closer to its contemporary SKU's (5820k, 6800k) than it should be. For playing video games in any case. For other uses such as, Fluid simulation, Video rendering, 3D animation creation, Proprietary scientific/lab research software and so forth; the newer chips wreck the 3820. However, brand new 3820's can be found at a fraction of the price of the newer CPU's. So the price to performance you get is obscene. I found some brand new in the box i7-3820's for $135 US on Ebay versus $389.99 for the 5820k or $439.99 for the 6800k. That's also 20+ dollars less than an AMD 8350 and $80+ dollars cheaper than AMD's newest Vishera based 9590 black editions. Neither of which can beat it in applications relying on single threaded workloads (which makes up roughly 90% of software), It also beats the 8350 in (almost) all multi-threaded workloads, and is relatively even with the 9590 in multi-threaded workloads. Sorry if this is too verbose, I have finally accepted the fact that I am utterly incapable of brevity on topics related to anything I covet; with Science,Math, and Computer Hardware being the some of the greatest offenders. After all, it's just like my Father never used to say. You can never have too much information. :p :twothumb:

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 16:39 

Hey, thanks a lot for the answers!

I actually thought about going intel and throw a lot of money (when i will have money some sweet day) out of the window for an i5-6500 but the i7-3820 is great and i even can use my DDR3 Ram i already have. So i have to look for a mainboard with a 2011 socket and im good to go?

Peer_Review, please go on! Here is the deal to be honest: i really wanna buy a good upgrade so i dont have to upgrade for some time. i even thought about getting a i7-6700k (which is around 600€ with MOBO & RAM & CPU Cooler) because i wanna game & do some video editing and such.

Thanks for all the answers!

With lots of love

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 22:41 

ya just search a good socket 2011 (not the 2011-v3) board with ddr3 and an I7 3rd or 4th generation. 3rd was sandy-bridge and 4th was ivy-bridge. some older socket 2011 boards may not support the 4th gen. or need a bios update. also some older boards may not support ddr3 ram setting above 1,8ghz, but u still can use higher rams best some with xmp profile, to easy select in bios will work stable mostly without hussle then. would take an asus rampage IV, wich is around 150€ too in used condition, guess it was above 600€ new.

So its not the worst timing at all, build a highend monster for around 400€ these days. :)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 19:04 

OK, so i found an Intel Core i7-4820K for 175€ and an ASUS ROG Rampage IV Black Edition for 150€. So quite sweet Hardware for 325€ BUT: how good will it perform? I mean it will be way more powerful than my Phenom II but i have no idea how good it performs in gaming and rendering / encoding and such.

But i have to say: GREAT TIP! I had no idea you could score such great hardware for not that much money :D

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 20:27 

what is the understanding of "performing"? ...but u can easly compare on http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu#, by adding a virtual pc wich fits ur components. it will perform very well. No amd (no matter wich price), is available yet, wich could even reach this performance. together with a raid0 (ssd) u have nearly the fastes desktop solution available for "mortal" human on planet earth.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 06:08 
Editors
Editors

Not yet ;) rumours are AMDs ZEN can beat a 6900K or at least are equal.

I dislike Future mark for CPU Benches. I prefer cinebench R15 in this case.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1029

I'm running a 3930k @4.6ghz and get around 1080score IIRC.
Sadly this was one of the best choices I've made ^^ paid 600.- back in the days but until now I've had absolutely no reason to upgrade :( and I love upgrading new PC parts. With 4.4ghz (daily usage 4.6 is too much) single thread performance is still quite OK even though IPC increased from Sandy bridge.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/inte ... neration/9