Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 19:50 

Hi all,

My first post here and wanted to ask for some advice about building a new rig for 3 or 2 monitor gaming (I can also use just a single monitor for some games if necessary)
(It will also be my work rig, coding, web development, some video editing, photoshop, sometimes all at the same time on different monitors)

My current setup is as below and I can reuse any of the parts:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4440 @ 3.10GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-K
PSU: CoolerMaster M2 Silent Pro 720W
RAM: 32gb (4 x 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2133)
System Drive: SanDisk Ultra II 960gb SSD
Various other drives for storage (2 X 3tb WD, 1 X 5tb WD)
Also have a couple of smaller SSD’s I’m not using at the moment (1 X 480gb & 1 X 240gb)
Graphics Card: 2 X NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Monitors: 3 X Philips LED 244EL2SB/69 (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz) - Wall mounted

I have maybe $1,200 USD to play with so am not adverse to getting a new processor / motherboard although I would like to reuse what I can.

A few things:
Is it worth going with a new motherboard that supports DDR4 memory or is there no point? Bearing in mind I already have 32gb of DDR3 - What MB would you recommend?

The processor - I don't mind upgrading and would love to hear your suggestions.

Graphics card - As you can see, not going to get me very far! I have been reading about the R9 and R7 here and also the GTX series, there are different versions of the same card (ARMOR, Gaming, Lightning) but I don't really know what the difference is and also don't really know what I'm looking at - I have also read about some BSOD issues with these cards (Having said that there are people who are die hard GTX fans and swear by them and vise versa for the Radeon guys)
A Titan is not an option though!

I hear a lot about overclocking - I'm not a hardcore gamer so this doesn't really apply to me, I'd preferably like something I can plug and play and maybe make a few tweaks here and there.
I don't have to be playing on ultra settings, as long as I can get a reasonable framerate I'd be quite happy.

Games I'd like to play: Witcher 3, GTA, driving games, Assassins Creed series, BF etc

I appreciate any and all tips and pointers, thanks in advance!

(I'm based in Singapore so have access to a mindboggling array of computer products)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 09:28 
Editors
Editors

Hi,
:welcome

I in your case would use all the money into a new GPU. A GTX 980Ti or Radon Fury.
The i5-4440 is not the best but still a very decent CPU.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 04:33 

Definately get the best GPU you are comfortable spending money on. Make sure it can connect to your monitors so a combination of DVI and/or HDMI in you case based on this http://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/244EL2SB_ ... ifications.