Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 09:10 

Hi all,
Can I use the 4-screen-split feature of wide LGs, to fool a PC with an Nvidia (or an ATI) card into thinking that it is hooked up to
multiple monitors and thus using the respective surround (or 'eyefinity' respectively) feature to treat the splits as actual independent physical monitors,
in turn enabling multiple monitor set-ups?

I suspect this is possible for spreadsheets and the like, but I'd like to know how this works (if at all) for gaming, so that I can increase the game's FOV far beyond the limits of the 21:9 ratio,
which, though satisfactory, it's not as good as that achieved by multiple monitor set-ups.

best regards,
sonam

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 10:05 
Editors
Editors

Hi, AFAIK you cannot fool AMD/NVidia drivers into believing that one monitor is multiple monitors.
They'd need the EDID file of the Monitor and physical connections to each to work.
But i've never tried it, who knows.

If you simply want more FoV you can use Toasty's CRU, Custom Resolution Utility. And then create a 1920x360 pixel Resolution.
If your monitor supports scaling you will get Black Bars on the top and bottom and a 16:3 Aspect ratio.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 12:54 
Administrators
Administrators

Hello Sonam, which LG monitor do you refer to?
It's possible that it might have 4 inputs which it can do picture in picture mode.

I've not seen a display that supports multiple PIP's but it is in theory possible.

I use a multiviewer at work for video editing, with a video mixer, which is able to accept 5 incoming video sources and mux them into a multiviewer output.

If you can provide the monitor model number, perhaps we can take a deeper look.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 21:12 

Thank you not only for replying, but also for making me aware of the possibility of custom resolutions.
Following Haldi's suggestion, I was able to create a 21:9 resolution on my 24"/16:9 monitor and so get a fairly good idea of what the FOV is like at it.

Delphium, I don't yet own a 21:9 LG, I'm just collecting information in order to decide whether it is worth buying one.
So I'm not refering to any particular model. I have just seen many LG models advertised as having separate video inputs which can be
connected to various independent devices. According to this, I understand that each screen-split can be driven by a different video source/device.
So I was wondering, what would happen, - in fact has anyone tried this out so far?- If one connected the video inputs of such an LG monitor not to
different devices, but to the video outputs of a SINGLE Nvidia or ATI card. Would this be interpreted by the card as multiple monitors connected to it?
Thanks again

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 12:51 
Administrators
Administrators

sonam wrote:
So I was wondering, what would happen, - in fact has anyone tried this out so far?- If one connected the video inputs of such an LG monitor not to
different devices, but to the video outputs of a SINGLE Nvidia or ATI card. Would this be interpreted by the card as multiple monitors connected to it?
Thanks again

If a Monitor had say 3 inputs, VGA, HDMI and DVI or DP, it would indeed be possible to connect the 3 inputs up to a single GPU, and have the GPU detect 3x identical monitors using different signal paths, one could create a eyefinity/surround setup with this configuration, of cause you wont physically see 2 of the 3 inputs but it would work.
Tried and Tested :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |