Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 02:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Ordered a Fury X. Impatiently waiting.

In the meantime, I've been trying to finger out what connectors/adapters i may need to run my DVI-DP-DVI screens. By the sounds of the Wiki article snippet I found, it seems that i won't need any Active Adapters. I can run DP to DP for the centre, and passive DP-DVI cables for the sides? Or, one DVI to DVI and one HDMI to DVI? I've been able to avoid requiring and Active adapter thus far on my 5870, 6950, and 7970s... But those all had DVI outs.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 22:39 
Editors
Editors

That's a good question.
I honestly don't know.
But i would recommend using 2x DP-> DVI cables instead of one HDMI one DVI. You still have the HDMI port free if you want to connect a TV / AVR for Music only, and if one Dp-> DVI cable works the chances are high the 2nd one also works.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 08:42 
Insiders
Insiders

I already have an HDMI-DVI, and I ordered a passive DP-DVI from Monoprice... so we'll see next week.m It'd be pretty lame to have a fresh new card, and no way to run EF for a bit, but I'm not to keen on shelling out $60+ for two adapters I may not need, Or are they cheaper now? I haven't looked into Actives for 5 years. I swore I already had an active DP-something, but hell if i can find it.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 15:43 
Insiders
Insiders

I asked this on the AMD Community forums, and he says that passives will work. I sure hope he's right.

Got another response:

Quote:
You only will need Active Adapters for the 3rd or higher Display. That means that if you are using 2x DP > DVI + 1x DP > DP (direct) then the DP > DVI adapters do not need to be Acitve. But if the 3rd Display is also to DVI or HDMI when you will need an Active Adapter for that.

So it seems to be the same as previous cards. And teh Actgive i already had is a mini-dp to DVI, so I've ordered an Accell adapter to connect my TV as well.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 15:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, they were correct. Running EF on passive DP-DVI, DP-DP, Active DP-DVI, and TV is connected HDMI-HDMI. So yes, requires same setup as previous cards. Yay.

I bought an Accell Active adapter. a bit pricey, but it seems to be the most reliable.