Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2015, 13:41 

Hi Folks,

Im a newb when it comes to multi screen setups and resolutions etc, I have only played consoles and now just built a gaming rig but need advice on a 3 screen setup.

The rig is an i5, 500gb ssd, 5tb storage, 16gb ram, sapphire R9 390 nitro running on win 7 64 bit.

I have a 50 inch samsung led 1920X1080/60p that I play my console games on but I would like to run a 3 screen setup for pc driving sims.

3 X 50 inch screens are out of the question mainly due to costs and space limitations.

I would like some advice if its ok on,

What size side monitors should I run for a PLP setup ? ( I did a quick measurement on my tv and it looks like maybe 27 in monitors turned sideways ?)

Will I have any problems with my video card supporting this setup ?

What resolution would I need to run on the center screen and what resolution on the side monitors ?

What resolution monitors should I buy ?

Can I use display port to either hdmi or dvi adapters as my tv and the monitors Im looking at buying only have hdmi or dvi ports ?

Are there any problems I may run into at all ?

The reason Im asking is because Im ready to buy the monitors but just wanted some expert advice before I spent the cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 03:13 
Insiders
Insiders

FDRX7, first measure your screen diagonally for exact viewable size. Then find your PLP layout choices in this group entry:

http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Enormous_Medium-Light_PLP_Layouts#.7E42-.7E50-.7E42_1920x1080_1600x900_ALT

You will be using Manual PLP with your graphics card, unless you buy a new AMD card (e.g. R9 285, R9 380, Fury). There are instructions for manual spreading of many games, in my blog here & more on the PLP wiki. Eventually you will want to upgrade to get proper Eyefinity PLP support. I would recommend you peruse the wiki, to know exactly what to expect.

blog http://www.wsgf.org/blog/imusrt

PS
1. There is a ton of hang on the sides if using layout in Manual PLP. Make sure it's viable option for your desk situation. Otherwise you need Eyefinity PLP to make an H-shape (puts half the hang on top).
2. There is another idea, I have not tested: Use Windows 10 to adjust individual display sizes in your multi-monitor setup. This feature in theory would allow more screens to work well as sides, allowing you to pick a size you want. No guarantees...