Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 14:03 

itgl72 wrote:
OK, my PC build list is complete. I'm here to finally put all my eggs into the research basket on this topic.

I'm looking to create a 3-monitor setup, and they will be connecting to an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations on what I need to keep an eye out for, or monitors in general as I start getting deeper into research. I want them to be 27 inches (I'm using one now, and want to maintain that size) plus I'll probably try to add a 3 screen desk mount to neaten things on the desk. I'm looking for this setup to be a flight sim, and race sim environment but it is a gamer PC as well as work when duty calls. I may not play all games with 3 screens all the time. I do work quite a bit from 3 screens at my job already so this will just be something at home, in a more of a grand scale. Thanks for your suggestions!

Starting to think going 3 screens that use G-SYNC may be more than I want to spend. Probably look for something that is a quality gaming 27 inch monitor and get 3 of those. If G-SYNC ever gets less expensive I can always get them, then and give my kids a monitor upgrade for their PCs.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 19:41 

+1 for the PLP love

whatever you decided, I am sure you'll be happy coming from a single 27".
I run with a Nvidia, I use windows borderless gaming, seems to be fairly reliable so far. Having some issues with Skyrim, and Fallout 3 atm others I have tested work fine so it's still hit and miss.
If you go PLP I would recommend AMD 285,380 or Fury for support.

Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz
Fractel Design Kelvin S24 AIO watercooling
Nvidia Geforce 980Ti "Reference" GPU
Fractel Design Newton R3 1000w PSU
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case
Windows 7 Home Premium

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 00:11 

So, I've spent the better part of the day reading reviews, and technical articles about 3 screens and 21:9 monitor reviews and I come away thinking, I'm going to bed uncertain and confused. I love the aspect of being surrounded by screens in a cockpit feel for racing sims and flying sims but there is that level of complication, and 3 devices that can fail vs 1 device that is pretty wide already in a 21:9 configuration. G-SYNC is too expensive to do 3 times, and 21:9 is very different to me as I am already used to 3 physical screens, both at work (3 19s) and home (2 17s in portrait and 1 27 in landscape). I know I'm going to spend at least 1000 dollars on this display setup and maybe a few hundred more but gaming performance of this display setup and immersion is important, to go with the fact that I work here too. Lets see what tomorrow brings, more to read and research...

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 19:58 

Took a ride to MicroCenter during lunch to stand in front of a 34 inch curved monitor. No doubt about it, the look is sweet. I would be more than content with that for absolutely any use, from any type of work or gaming. My biggest hangup is for years I've envisioned a 3 screen setup for sim racing and flight simulation that may be great for those applications but not for everything else. I just need to convince myself that perhaps this single wide screen will suit all my needs, if that is actually the case. I'll keeping looking into it online... Thanks!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 22:11 

I've made my decision, and am happy with it. I've always envisioned 3 monitors but after the last few weeks of studying this, and then looking at what it would cost me to do it the way I want and what I would get back over all from it I decided against 3 screens and went with the Dell U3415W 34" Curved LED IPS 5ms Monitor. I spent some time in front of this device at a local store and was really impressed with it. Needless to say I've spent quite some hours researching curved 21:9 monitors vs 3 monitors. No matter what direction I went there was going to be some compromise on features or functionality of one over the other but I feel confident for me, right now, this will suit me the best. You never know, I may buy two more one day. HA... I found it on sale at newegg out the door for $809.99 using promo code DELLBTS. My new PC parts are here and I'll be assembling soon, and the monitor should arrive soon after I'm complete. Happy times.. Thanks for all the feedback!