Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: First 3 Monitor Setup
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 19:43 

I've finally reached a point where I can afford myself a computer and 3 monitor setup on my desk for my flight simulation and race simulation hobby, of which I've had less time with over the years. I want to get back into it, and realized I no longer need a tripleheadtogo device because video cards can manage it themselves now.

I don't know what I don't know yet, so I'm beginning my research in this forum to break the ice.

For the last few years I've been running a 27" AOD LED monitor that I very much like, and would love 3 of these or similar lined up 3 across. I really hate to go lower that 27 inches but Ive read a lot about people claiming 24 is the way to go. Ill keep researching this.

Also, what about placing 3 on the desk vs using some sort of desk mount to suspend them above the desk? I use something like this at work and find it difficult if I try to line up the 3 monitors evenly.

I prefer nvidia video video cards although Ive used and still own AMD/ATI family of cards.

I want this build to "HANDLE" FSX (or Xplane or DCS if I choose to tinker further with those) and would prefer ONE video card as opposed to SLI.

I'm looking at GTX970 vs GTX980

What kind of monitors has the community used that they enjoy? Small bezels, more screen, good picture.

Look forward to your feedback on this as I prep to get back into simulation.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 00:03 
Insiders
Insiders

I am not pushing this idea, do what you want. Whatever you choose, it will be awesome compared to single 27".

But maybe you overlooked PLP layout. It is worth your consideration. Best thing available IMO. Superior view to LLL (too short & overkill wide), & better than 21:9 (all are too small for ideal immersion). Others will not agree, to each his own.

Graphics Card:
AMD's new & future cards support PLP with Eyefinity. R9 285 available now & would work fine, but it's a bit weak. Others releasing shortly.

Monitors:
I currently use a 27" too, on center (1080p; with 19" 16:10 sides, latter using dropped resolution to line up pixels & it looks good). Layout called "19-27-19 Common Lightweight" if interested in details. Keeps weight down but remains immersive (covers vision if used right), & one good graphics card works well. This layout also hides the sides' bezels, which cuts inner bezels in ~half. So bezels on the sides you purchase don't matter. If you want, can buy very cheap used sides, makes minimal difference IMO. Quality center matters most in PLP.

Mounting PLP:
This can be done attractive & cheap. Requires some foresight during sides' purchase. If interest ask. (There is a good chance that a purchased multi-monitor stand will not work for PLP, as you will want more flexibility in positioning sides. Maybe could be fixed with some monkeying; I have never tried them.)

Last edited by imusrt on 09 Jul 2015, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 00:26 
Editors
Editors

Small bezel are great. But sadly that's the least important thing to look at in a Monitor.
TN panel, IPS, AHV ? 60hz, 120hz, 144hz? Free-sync G-sync ? FullHD or 2560x1440, or even 4k?
After you've picked your favorite tech speccs there are not many models left.

Personaly I don't use a MultiMonitor stand (shame on me) because my dell U2311h can be pivoted left/right fort/back and moved up and down i can align them somewhat... altough i have to redo it every few days if i want it perfect ^^

Oh yeah, don't go with a 3.5gb 970 that will cause you Problems with the VRAM, be sure to take a 980 or better a 980Ti 6GB VRAM might be nice in the Future.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 00:35 

Decided I'm going with a 980 ti for this. Everything leads me in this direction.

Right now I have a PLP configuration with a pair of Dell 17s and an AOC 27. I can't get Nvidia to do its thing on my gtx 670 because of PLP. I've tried soft th but limitations there keep me from making it an option.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 13:22 
Insiders
Insiders

itgl72, have you successfully played a game in PLP on your 17-27-17 configuration? I am curious about your results.
The PPI variance is seemingly insurmountable. I don't know your sides' resolution, but can't see how any 17" would line up pixels properly with your center. Also I'm interested in how you have your monitors positioned (sides flush with center?)

For all multi-monitor gaming, perceived pixels need to line up (test easy: a window dragged across inner bezel)

Re SoftTH:
There is an arsenal of tricks & tools we can use to spread games in PLP with minimal support. SoftTH is not the only answer (though it's a good one). This all has been documented online, if interest.

But it is far easier to buy a graphics card that supports PLP. Then your games would work as easy as LLL.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 16:07 

Only FSX and it was purely exploratory. I know it can work, with effort, however my desire has for years to have 3 screens in LLL.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2015, 20:56 

OK, my PC build list is complete. I'm here to finally put all my eggs into the research basket on this topic.

I'm looking to create a 3-monitor setup, and they will be connecting to an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations on what I need to keep an eye out for, or monitors in general as I start getting deeper into research. I want them to be 27 inches (I'm using one now, and want to maintain that size) plus I'll probably try to add a 3 screen desk mount to neaten things on the desk. I'm looking for this setup to be a flight sim, and race sim environment but it is a gamer PC as well as work when duty calls. I may not play all games with 3 screens all the time. I do work quite a bit from 3 screens at my job already so this will just be something at home, in a more of a grand scale. Thanks for your suggestions!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2015, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

I would definitely keep an eye out for G-sync if it would be me.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 01:09 

Removed...

Last edited by Xak on 11 Jul 2015, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 01:48 

Haldi wrote:
I would definitely keep an eye out for G-sync if it would be me.

Its definitively something to look for on my list however, I'm still learning the ins and outs of the technology but I'm feeling as though there may be some challenges in getting 3 g-sync monitors to work and not be uber expensive.