Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 13:10 

Wanted to spread the word on a few of the forums I frequent. The main post was over on Overclock.net-samsung-magician-4-6-released

Samsung Magician 4.6 was released and supposedly fixes the read degradation issue on 840 EVOs.
You can download the latest Magician from Samsung here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... 3-11000279

Download issues on samsung's side of things seems to have gone away.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Because LOL samsung: http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsu ... -Throttled
More links:
TechSpot
MajorGeeks
mega
[i]EDIT3: The Samsung server overload is also hindering the download of the latest firmware. So even if you download Magician 4.6, you may not be able to download the firmware off the Samsung servers.

MD5 of the zip: 9e280367506209149595e16190bd4eb9
MD5 of the exe: 9f5e2fa8a372434b9a8a3a4e954c7e62[/i]

Some of the history if you are not familiar with the 840 EVO issue:
Spoiler:
A month ago I contacted Samsung who I got generic response from and eventually found an article on PCPer (and the video) a week ago stating a fix is coming out 'later this month'. Well, It looks like Magician 4.6 was released yesterday.

The slowdown occurs when data sits on the drive. This is the result of 4-5 months of data just sitting. I filled 85% of the drive with games when I first got the drive in December/January time period. You can see where BF4 and DCS world were sitting (the low points), and where I freed up and copied ~100GB for GTA V, KF2 and StarCitizen recently (the high points)...

Samsung Magician must only read the best peak read/write because this is what I see after running the above:

The process should be straight forward.
What you want to do is Download and Install the latest Samsung Magician 4.6.
Launch Magician and Firmware Update should have a Warning sign next to it. Run the update. It takes a couple minutes, reboots, and your 840 drivers should be re-installed.
Spoiler:

Just applying the firmware read speeds were increased.

After rebooting, launch Magician again, and go to the Performance Optimization section > Advanced tab. This is the new performance fix. Depending on the capacity of your drive this could take 20 minutes to over an hour. If your 840 EVO is a game drive I wouldn't worry about it interfering with general computer use. My 90% full 840EVO took exactly an hour.. It used about 20-30% CPU across 4 cores, but I didn't notice it running.
Spoiler:

And the results:

The new firmware runs this in the background to keep reads up to speed, but you can run it whenever you feel like. I would run something like HD Tune or HD Tach to check your read speeds since Magician does not seem to pick up the slowdown. According to PCPer, it uses something like 1 of your drive's NAND writes (like an insignificant 0.1% of the drive's life), so its not going to hurt the drive unless you do something stupid like run it every day for a year, and there is really no need to. If the firmware doesn't fix it, you might have to run this 6 months from now.