Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 02:13 

Hello WSGF! :wave:

I got such a positive response from my last question I knew immediately where to head when I had another. Especially as it's concerning the ergotech triple monitor stand. I originally intended to run 3x1440p monitors at 60hz, I then realised that 3x 24" 144hz monitors might be a better option. Then my attention was brought to the 34" 21:9 curved ultrawide solution.
I"m wondering if the Ergotech triple monitor stand (with telescoping wings) is capable of holding a 34inch 21:9 monitor on its centre mount, and two 24" monitors on the outside (probably one in portrait mode and the other in landscape. I could use the 21:9 high resolution panel for games I wanted to be immersed in, and my current benq 144hz panel for competitive games. The 21:9 would also be great for movies with that aspect ratio. I believe the Dell u3415w doesn't exceed the maximum weight each of the pivots holds.

I"m a little embarrised about changing my plans for my multi monitor setup so suddenly, I am rather indecisive. Perhaps someone here will have experience and can tell me if I'm better off just going with 3x 24" 144hz panels for better immersion instead. The reason I think 21:9 appeals to me so much is that you have a wider FOV without any distortion.

Thanks a lot
Abstract

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 10:07 
Editors
Editors

According to my measuring tape, it should fit. Aligning the side screens and the curved panel would be tricky though.
I only have a noncurved 34" monitor and a five-segment WSGF stand holding three 24" 16:10 monitors, but apparently the stand could support one 34" + two HD 24" in landscape no problem. Which doesn't mean it's a good idea :p

Your indecision is only normal, it's impossible to have a display setup that's 100% perfect for everything. Just start by getting a 34-incher and see how you like it in conjunction with the BenQ. Then, and only then, take the next step. Is 21:9 good enough for you at 60 Hz ? Do you still crave for multi-monitor (and its complications) ? And so on. Baby steps, always better than a giant leap into disappointment...

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 12:02 

Thank you very much, your advice is very much appreciated. I love the feeling of 144hz, but if games trap me at 60fps (as long as it isn't an fps, race sim etc) I don't mind too much. Your advice is certainly appreciated and thanks for making the effort to make the calculations. Maybe I should just get a 34" without a curve in order to better align the panels.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 20:08 
Insiders
Insiders

So what did you end up with?

I ask because I'm considering the same thing: a 34" curved centre, with a 23" 16:10 on either side, all in landscape, on the Ergotech triple with expanding wings. If I can get any angle on the sides, I figure I'll have to fashion a couple blocks to push the sides out from the VESA mounts a bit to deal with the curve. If it doesn't work for me at al... i dunno. waht I'll do.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 23:59 
Founder
Founder

The WSGF Edition will do what you want and give plenty of room for a lot of curve - without any mods. Triple with wings would be pushing it. WSGF Edition is also sturdier.