Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 14:13 

Hey guys, first post here after searching google forever. This seems to be the place to be for my particular question. I usually game on my laptop with a 580m, but I have a desktop I built in 08 with 3 identical 1920x1200 monitors that is used for work. Programming, remote server management, and other IT stuff. After 7 years one of the two 8800GT's finally died so it's time to upgrade my desktop and my current thought is to set it up for gaming across all 3 monitors since I already have them instead of only using them for work.

First, money isn't an issue for the most part. I'm not one that upgrades parts every year so I can continue to have the best of the best. I like to build monsters and then run them until they fall apart. So I don't mind dropping a wad on a Titan or a couple 295x2's if that's what people recommend cause I won't be getting rid of them in a year when "the next big thing" comes out. I'll beat it for years and get my money out of it.

Here's the question: What would you guys recommend for GPU (or GPU's) for 5760x1200 gaming? Particularly for a heavily modded Skyrim that loves to eat up VRAM.

I was originally looking at 2 x GTX980 but they only have 4gb vram. I've read several posts about Skyrim maxing out the vram and crashing even on 4gb cards when a bunch of texture mods and a heavy ENB are installed. Gaming on 3 screens instead of just 1 I'm guessing it would use even more. So that makes me lean towards two of the R9 290x 8gb cards. The 8gb would also ensure some "future proofing" since I'll likely have this setup for 6-8 years. THEN, Nvidia had to go and release the new Titan X. Cheaper than 2x 980's, not quite as powerful, but has 12gb of vram instead of only 4gb. Definitely more than enough vram for triple screen Skyrim and should be enough for years to come. Maybe a year down the road I could throw in a second one if the fps aren't the greatest pushing 3 screens.

So what should I do? 2 x GTX 980, 2 x R9 290x 8gb, Titan X, or some other recommendation?

PS will be a full upgrade to Z97 and 4790k, psu determined by gpu choice. Just need help with the gpu.

Thnaks!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 06:49 
Editors
Editors

Hi,
4gb VRAM is enough for today. If you plan to use this machine for 2-3 years 4gb still might be enough. But if you're planning on 5-7 years 4gb VRAM will be as much of a problem as raw GPU power. Just try gaming on your 8800. VRAM might not even be the problem on 1920x1080 but FPS.

In that case even if you go with a Titan X you might get performance issues in 3-4 years. (Depending on how much quality settings you like and what games you play.)
Using a second card in SLI might help out here.
But if you never used SLI/Crossfire for gaming I cannot recommend it.
You always need drivers with SLI/crossfire profiles to work and sometimes they get released weeks after a new game launches.

BTW, AMDs new card the R9-390X is said to be available in 8gb version, beat the titan X in performance and cost less. It will be officially announced between now and 4months with a release date.
Greetings Haldi