Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 14:58 

Hi All

I need some help deciding on my next purchase. I have been happy/content surround user for years. First through Matrox TripleHead2Go then Nvidia Surround.
I currently have 3x 16:10 1920x1200 monitors for a total of 5760x1200 resolution gaming.

Past 2 months I have been checking the reviews and doing a lot of research on upgrading my fairly aged monitors and cant decide what to go for. Hoping to get a few ideas to narrow it down PLEASE ;-)

Current options are:
- stay with current configuration until one of the screens decides to giv up on me and forces me to change
- purchase Panasonic 50" TX8002 4K TV - lowest lag out of all available models and has a display port meaning my 780ti can run it. Tested one extensively and it looks nice.
- Purchase 21:9 LG 34" 34um095 - I haven't tested it but seems like a popular choice for gamers (not sure about games that do not support 21:9)
- Purchase one 32" 16:9 BenQ3200PT and switch to single screen gaming. Single big monitor is fine but I think I would miss my pixel real estate for peripheral vision.

I have researched many screens and the list above presents weeks of hard choices and hours of reading and brainstorming ;-)

Was anyone in a similar boat? Or did someone actually move away from surround to something else and could share experiences?

As usual any feedback is most welcome!

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 06:44 

tkrysiak wrote:
Hi All

I need some help deciding on my next purchase. I have been happy/content surround user for years. First through Matrox TripleHead2Go then Nvidia Surround.
I currently have 3x 16:10 1920x1200 monitors for a total of 5760x1200 resolution gaming.

Past 2 months I have been checking the reviews and doing a lot of research on upgrading my fairly aged monitors and cant decide what to go for. Hoping to get a few ideas to narrow it down PLEASE ;-)

Current options are:
- stay with current configuration until one of the screens decides to giv up on me and forces me to change
- purchase Panasonic 50" TX8002 4K TV - lowest lag out of all available models and has a display port meaning my 780ti can run it. Tested one extensively and it looks nice.
- Purchase 21:9 LG 34" 34um095 - I haven't tested it but seems like a popular choice for gamers (not sure about games that do not support 21:9)
- Purchase one 32" 16:9 BenQ3200PT and switch to single screen gaming. Single big monitor is fine but I think I would miss my pixel real estate for peripheral vision.

I have researched many screens and the list above presents weeks of hard choices and hours of reading and brainstorming ;-)

Was anyone in a similar boat? Or did someone actually move away from surround to something else and could share experiences?

As usual any feedback is most welcome!

I actually think that 1920x1200 is the sweet spot for multimonitor gaming. The only problem is if you have to play single monitor it is a little small res wise. In case you do not know the newer graphics cards do not require you to have identical monitors anymore.

I am having the same thoughts as you. I have 2x1680x1050 screens on the outside and a u2711 2560x1440 center screen. I am thinking of going 3560x1440 but just cannot pull the trigger. Nice thing about amd is I can play in eyefinity with different aspect ratios and different resolutions. I do not think Nvidia lets me do that.