Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Display port help
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 19:23 

So, here is what im running, or trying to anyway...

Left: 24' dell display running on DVI
Center: (Brand new) 29" dell display running on display port to Mini display port (this is where im having problems currently)
Right: 23" Apple cinema display running on DVI ( this one is getting upgraded shortly)

Alright im having some serious issues here, first off i cant even find the monitor using the display port connection, and Catalyst control center cant find the 29" monitor ether. I was wondering if there was a problem with the monitor so i tried it with a DVI cable and it worked, but the screen was SUPER distorted, i couldn't even read the lettering on the icons on my desktop, now keep in mind im running at 2560x1080 resolution. Im really not sure what to do here, if someone could help me out that would be amazing as most people seem to be pretty tech savoy on this forum.

Another question i would probably have and should have asked first would be... can i even use a mini display port for what im trying to do?

Post subject: Re: Display port help
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 20:16 

Alright now its a new problem, i was able to get it to work but this one i have no idea how to trouble shoot...

So my current resolution 5760x1080 which causes my center monitor the 29"er to get squished when i do eyefinity, because the max resolution that I NEED is 6400x1080, and it doesnt even show up in the catalyst control center or the Windows screen resolution selector. hopefully someone will come along soon and help me out here hah

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 20:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Mini display port should be supported with no problems. There are a few questions that might help to determine the issue.

1. What model Radeon card are you using and what operating system are you running?

2. Can you detect and use all three screens in extended mode but not Eyefinity resolutions or will the 29" not even work in extended mode?

3. If you just plug in the 29" by itself through the mini display port connection while leaving the other monitors disconnected, does it work?

4. Is your total resolution across all three screens 2560x1080 or is each monitor running at 2560x1080? For that matter, are all three monitors the same resolution or not?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 14:36 
Insiders
Insiders

That DVI is probably a singlelink DVI, you need a duallink DVI cable to use on resolutions higher than 1920x1200. (Given that that resolution of 2560x1080 is a single screen). You can check it by looking at the pins of the cable. Are there pins missing? -> it's a single link.

Displayport, whether it would be mini or not does not differ, but that should be working out of the box, kablam, directly no problems whatsoever. However, I don't know why but it sure gives me problems sometimes as well. I just use dual link DVI cables for everything if I can to be sure everything works as optimal as can be.

Here is a picture to clarify what kind of DVI cables exist:

Note how the second one uses all pins available, which is DVI-I Duallink.