Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PLP set up HELP
PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 14:15 

I want to run a 20-30-20 PLP 1600x1200 on sides 2560x1600 in center. I want to get a 30 inch korean monitor as 600 is much cheaper than 1600 (after tax). I need to know which korean manufacturer sources its 30" panels from the same factory as dell as I want to match the korean panel with 2 20" dells? Also is it possible to find 20" 1600x1200 korean monitors on the cheap I'd rather have a brand new one from korea then buy used dell ones as there is no way in hell im paying over 400 for 20 inch dells?

I know gaming across PLP isn't very good and I don't want to do that anyways my gaming will be just on 2560x1600. Is 1 GTX titan enough to drive these 3 monitors in PLP if I only game on the center one? Also while I'm gaming on the center one is it possible to have websites open on the side monitors simultaneously off the single gtx titan?

Post subject: Re: PLP set up HELP
PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 16:09 
Insiders
Insiders

All of the korean monitors' panels should come from LG. Dell also get's most of their panels from LG. If you're trying to match them to a Dell 2007fp, you're going to need a color meter. It's going to be extremely hard to match them perfectly. Also I don't know anyone still producing 4:3 monitors except maybe NEC, but it's extremely expensive. It's better to just go used. Check your local craigslist. You may even find a 30" on craigslist and save some money (like I did and I saved a ton).

I'm not sure if a titan can run 3 monitors extended, but I don't see why it couldn't as it can run 3 monitors in surround.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 00:20 

only problem with the old dell 30 inchers they use a ton more electric and run hotter then the new ones. New ones are less then half the power i believe i know it was greatly reduced.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 20:23 

Well I found a used dell u3014 locally but it had 2 super tiny dead black pixels in the top left corner. That part was failed to be mentioned to me but it's ok I'm not that disappointed. I'm not racist or anything but the black dood that sold it to me, well, it may of been stolen he just didn't seem like the computer type and the price was only 400 dollars and it was manufactured only 3 months ago so its practically brand new. Also think the bezel is slightly smaller on it compared to the older ones I knew it was a risk going in, when he powered it up really fast I didn't even notice the dead pixels its like he knew what to show to hide them. The whole situation felt a little iffy and I don't think I'm gonna mess with craigslist anymore. But I got a very beautiful monitor for 400 dollars and it does run very cool and energy efficient.

There is no newer generation 20 inch dells that also run much cooler and with less watts like the new 30 inch, corrrect? Will I be able to adjust the 20 inch dells to match the color temp and brightness of the 30 inch since the dell is a u3014 and the 20 inch is u2007 it's a pretty large generation gap. Will the screens color be off from each other?

I found 1 brand new but open box dell 2007 for 230 dollars so thats not even much more than the used ones so that is a no brainer to get. Wish I could find 2 brand new open boxes for that price but I'm not that lucky. Since the 30 inch is almost new and the 1 20 inch is new would it make a big difference in matching the screens to keep the second 20 inch dell new as well? I can find them brand new sealed box for about 320 dollars. Or will the fact that the third one may be a few years old not make much a difference in matching them perfectly? A used one would be about 160 dollars exactly half the price of a brand new sealed one. If the matching doesnt matter new vs old i'll just get the old. So that's all I need to know for now. Thanks guys.

Had 1200 saved for these monitors but now that I got such good deals I can get the 960GB crucial m500 too. I have only 2 4TB WD blacks in RAID 1 so finally getting an ssd that can actually hold all my programs finally will be huge performance upgrade. Been waiting a long time for a reasonable 1TB ssd. Also need to get a third wd black so I can switch to RAID 5 but thats a whole nother topic.