Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 19:17 

Just joined surround crowd with three Asus VS247H-P displays and had a few questions.

I'm currently running two GTX460's in SLI on windows 7 but will be moving to Windows 8 when my repaired SSD drive arrives. I can't currently switch between extended and SLI modes. I read threads here and elsewhere, followed instructions but can only get two displays to go in extended mode. Is this because I am running windows 7 or because the only way to connect the 460's in SLI is with 2 monitors to one card and one monitor to the other (no display port)?

I am looking to upgrade graphics cards I was looking at running a pair of GeForce GTX650Ti Boost in SLI mode will this give the performance to drive most games on the three displays? Is there a better option?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 23:45 
Administrators
Administrators

How are you trying to switch between the modes? I use Windows-P to toggle between Surround and Extended desktop, although admittedly I rarely use Extended Desktop anymore because Surround emulates it so well.

I am not sure of the cost difference between two GTX650Tis and a GTX680 (or GTX670 OC) but I am running 4 x 27 inch displays off the one card and I can play games at high texture qualities without issue, all off one card.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 01:27 

AussieTimmeh wrote:
How are you trying to switch between the modes? I use Windows-P to toggle between Surround and Extended desktop, although admittedly I rarely use Extended Desktop anymore because Surround emulates it so well.

I am not sure of the cost difference between two GTX650Tis and a GTX680 (or GTX670 OC) but I am running 4 x 27 inch displays off the one card and I can play games at high texture qualities without issue, all off one card.

It is the Windows-P I can't get set up correctly. Once I enable surround I can't get windows to allow more than 2 displays in extend mode. After reading several threads on topic I found some get three to work and some don't but I must wonder if the reason some don't is because they are driving one display off a second card like I am.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 02:17 

AussieTimmeh wrote:

Must have clicked submit by accident for your second question this or similar is the card I an looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX650Ti-SuperClocked-Dual-Link-Graphics/dp/B00BZB0I3W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366677483&sr=1-1&keywords=650+ti+boost

I am not seeing the super clock but most GTX 650 Ti BOOST with 2GB are running $160-$180 times two is $360 looks like the GTX680 4GB is running $500-$600 . The few reviews I have read it looks like NVIDIA pushing this card as the sweet spot is good to go. If the single card makes this whole three monitor thing work better then I need to reconsider. I looked at the Titans way out of my price, I could upgrade motherboard,processor, and memory for that.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 10:50 
Editors
Editors

670 4gb OC runs for 430
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClocked ... 670+4gb+oc

But then again, you get around 10-20% (i assume, don't take that for real!) more Performance from a 650Ti Boost SLI setup.... IF your game supports SLI and all works fine! That said you still might have Microstutter in a SLI setup.

IMHO 1 big card --> 2 Small cards!

Just imagine you want to play the new Game that released yesterday and the SLI profiles aren't working yet! HF playing with 1GPU! Or with worse Framerate than single GPU!

Beside 670 =4gb VRAM while 650TI Boost = 2gb VRAM. So you won't hit the VRAM limit with lot of AA settings in the Future!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 19:22 

Thanks for the advice I decided to go with the single 670 OC.

For the third display connection is it better to use the HDMI to the display or Display Port with DVI converter to display?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 23:46 
Administrators
Administrators

Haldi makes some very good points about games that don't run well on SLI. I had big problems when I ran a pair of 560s with in-game performance.

If you are only running 3 displays, using the HDMI connector is fine. I just used a HDMI to DVI cable. When you want to run four, obviously you need to use the DisplayPort but I just use a DisplayPort to DVI cable and it works fine too.