Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 08:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 09:21 

so i wanna buy a decent gaming laptop ive got around 1500$ to spend ive been thinking 680m 16gbRAM or will 8 do? i7 with a ssdmaybe 17in monitor
so far ive been looking at the ibuypower http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Valkyrie ... ing_Laptop
and maybe the alienware m18x http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m18x-r2/pd although it is out of budget and id like a few more options like maybe hybrid ssd and gskill ram
the 2 main factors are gaming performance and style as all the other things i will use the laptop for will be fairly pedestrian
secondarily though power consumption and heat are also factors

all feedback is appreciated i will buy in about 1 week (after im satisfied ive done enough research to make the best decision

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 09:43 
Administrators
Administrators

I would advise against Alienware for price reasons only, they tend to charge a premium for the brand / design. Look into MSI and Asus range of gaming laptops, both make good products. Also you'll be luckly to get a laptop with a 680 and 16GB RAM for $1500 or less, and unless you plan on using it for video encoding, you'll probably be fine with 8GB of RAM. Even good gaming laptops will normally burn though there battery within an hour of heavy gaming on the battery, so if you can, aim for something with a 9-cell battery in it.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 04:50 

Skid wrote:
I would advise against Alienware for price reasons only, they tend to charge a premium for the brand / design. Look into MSI and Asus range of gaming laptops, both make good products. Also you'll be luckly to get a laptop with a 680 and 16GB RAM for $1500 or less, and unless you plan on using it for video encoding, you'll probably be fine with 8GB of RAM. Even good gaming laptops will normally burn though there battery within an hour of heavy gaming on the battery, so if you can, aim for something with a 9-cell battery in it.

yeah okay 1500 was a bit lofty but lets just say id like to keep cost down as much as possible
so im okay with 8gb ram as besides gaming most of the other tasks on this will be fairly pedestrian (photoshop bluray player music xbmc etc
also i want to re-emphasize my desire for a "flashy" model what would you recommend in the msi or asus line?
one last thing which cpu?? 2.4 2.7 or the big guy?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 07:30 

I ride or die asus when it comes to most things, and gaming laptops are for sure Asus territory. I would recommend this at your price range http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230405 I have this but with only 8 gbs of ram and a 1tb 5400rpm hard drive (bought at the start of last summer, so the models where more expensive and I had $1400 so I took the hit in ram and hdd because 8gbs is fine enough, and I'm not a picky person when it comes to load times, it was the best buy version which was surprisingly a good deal at $1350). I was immediately blown away by it, looks great and is cased in metal/rubber so it is extremely durable while looking good and not over the top like an alien-ware. Not only that but it seriously runs games as well as a desktop PC at around the same price! BF3 on High, skyrim on ultra just for starters, all while staying extremely cool, as a matter of a fact some summer nights when I didn't feel like cooking up my room by running my desktop PC I'd kick back with this lappy and have at the same games I played on my Desktop with extremely low ambient tempratures being produced.

Though I do not have any experience with MSI, I was also looking to them at the time too, and I would still recommend to look at them as well as Asus, they are two very reliable companies who throw out on the market nothing but quality.