Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 23:16 

I currently have two 24" 1920x1080 LCDs (Acer H243H and ASUS VE248H), a MB with just one pciex16, a GTX 460, 8 GB RAM, W7 Pro, and an AMD x2 Phenom 3.10 GHz unlocked to x4 by the MSI Bios/software.

I have limited funds and so think that maybe the $300 cards with 2 GB memory are out of the question as I will also need to buy another 24" ~$200 LCD. I was looking around NewEgg, etc and saw the EVGA 670 FTW and the NewEgg YouTube video. I noticed it said it supports up to 4 displays. On Amazon's page for it someone says they use 3 displays like what I am looking for. Will I need to buy extra wires/adapters or something in order to use one card + 3 monitors if said card has 3-4 LCD support? I am only familiar with the standard LCD (dvi?) plug.

I have seen the Matrox TripleHead2Go adapter with its ~$300 pricetag.

What do you think is the best way to have 5760x1080 with good framerates playing Vanguard, EQ II, Planetside 2, World of Tanks, maybe WarZ when it is fleshed out more (para-dum-dah :lol: ), Eve Online, or what ever other game grabs my attention again (not really playing the intense FPS Crysis style or other single player games right now, although I still have an uncompleted Oblivion and Witcher installed /sigh).

I am confused about the whole thing; what is needed, etc. I also use my current setup to make working at home easier, instead of having the windows overlapping like they used to. What a relief it was to get a second monitor for work.

edit: After more internet searching, I found this Geforce guide. Do I really have to have the exact make/model of each monitor? I did find that the 670 and 680 supposedly both support running 3 monitors off one card (read that on a forum I lost now somewhere).

Quote:
Monitor Prerequisites

In 2D Surround, any combination of monitors that share common timings is perfectly acceptable, though each must have, at minimum, one DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort connector. Aesthetically, identical monitors are preferable, but not a requirement.
In 3D Vision Surround, each monitor must be an identical make and model, and you must use three matching digital connectors. We will go into detail below, but you may need additional adapters for this.
The Accessory Display, the forth monitor, does not have to be identical to the three Surround displays, but does require one of the three possible connectors.

I did find on the Gefore website this tool as well so it is helping more. If I am reading correctly, it seems the only way to run single GPU and not completely change out my motherboard, buy another card, etc is to have at least a 670?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 06:05 

126 views and no replies...

I have the 670 ftw shipping to me now.

NewEgg also has this Asus for sale this Black Friday Week that has the same refresh rates as my current Asus.

bump for still no answer to my question(s)...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 07:19 

The biggest issue is that you will be using 3 different monitors. Nvidia surround and amd eyefinity are very particular about the monitors been matched.

they must all have the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. The sync polarity is what normally causes incompatibility issues and its not always easy to find out from the manufactures specs.

There is no guaranty that it will work with 3 different monitors , and more then likely it wont. It can be possible to create a custom inf (driver file) to help with compatibility between different monitor models, but again it dosent always work. So you will be taking a risk, but surround gaming can be worth the risk.
The ideal solution would be to sell one or both of your monitors and get 3 matched ones, but as you said you are on a budget, it may be too expensive an option.

The 670 is a good card and will do nvidia surround and you will always have the option of adding another card down the line for more power.

Sorry i cant give you a definite answer

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 10:26 

CoolMan=GCHQ= wrote:
The biggest issue is that you will be using 3 different monitors. Nvidia surround and amd eyefinity are very particular about the monitors been matched.

they must all have the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. The sync polarity is what normally causes incompatibility issues and its not always easy to find out from the manufactures specs.

There is no guaranty that it will work with 3 different monitors , and more then likely it wont. It can be possible to create a custom inf (driver file) to help with compatibility between different monitor models, but again it dosent always work. So you will be taking a risk, but surround gaming can be worth the risk.
The ideal solution would be to sell one or both of your monitors and get 3 matched ones, but as you said you are on a budget, it may be too expensive an option.

The 670 is a good card and will do nvidia surround and you will always have the option of adding another card down the line for more power.

Sorry i cant give you a definite answer

So even if the two Asus monitors have same refresh, same response, same resolution, I still don't know if they will work eh?

I guess I can see what I can get from the 460 and the Acer to help alleviate the costs of buying another monitor. One or both are still under warranty (I remember paying for an extended warranty on one of them at least) so that should help with the sale.