Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 18:37 

Hey all,

Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone had missed this who might be interested in it. Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) are trying to build a cutting edge smartphone. The short of it is that they'll be using high-end components that aren't typically found in consumer electronics, and the phone will have the ability to connect to a monitor using MHL to provide a full-fledged Ubuntu desktop running solely off the phone. Oh, and it'll also dual-boot Android with Ubuntu for those who aren't keen on losing their app collection investment. It's an enthusiast device, which I think would appeal to all the enthusiasts that frequent this forum.

The downside is that they're asking for $32 million in crowdfunding to make this happen (it'll be a record-smasher if it happens), and AFAIK the only way to get one is through the IndieGoGo campaign. I've pledged already (had to pledge $50 more than I intended due to ethernet gremlins). My bank account has fallen ill, but all for a good cause.

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 19:53 
Editors
Editors

spent 630$ on that, but i wonder if they will reach the 32 mio. I say they wont.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 20:16 

I have to admit my hopes are waning a little, but there are comments on the IGG that stoke the fire:
- More press coverage if and when they break the $11M crowdfunding record.
- Canonical will probably have something up their collective sleeves. Maybe we see that tomorrow.
- A lot of people may be on the fence/wanting to think things through, so there might be another burst of pledges as it gets nearer the end.

I haven't been checking all the news sites, but apparently there was some f***up on a major outlet that suggested the phones would hit market in May, and I can imagine quite a lot of potential backers might hold out for that which never comes.

In the meantime, maybe some "imagination stimulants" + this to tide people over :) (as long as you don't mind the lack of ports).

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds