Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 01:18 

Hello, as its comming up to xmas i made my parents get me a new pc ^^

the pc is a amd pheneom tri core 2.1ghz, 3gb ram, it comes with onboard 8200 (replacing with 8600gt).

the only problem is the minimum PSU watt is 300watts for this 8600gt.
the PSU that comes stocked in the pc is 250watt. I have read that the 8600gt runs fine on a 250watt, but just to make sure i thought i would ask here.

I will be upgrading the PSU asap!

i just want to get settled into using a pc first without messing around inside of it. it has been 2 years since ive had a pc. ive had to use a laptop for gaming... for 2 years :(

Any help will be apreciated :D, also links to some PSU's i think the mobo is a 24 pin connector but link some 20's incase.

thanks !

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 03:40 
Insiders
Insiders

The only real tip you need is DON'T GET A CHEAP PSU!

A cheap-o PSU can cost you stability, reliability, and are much more likely to fry your computer. There are many good brands of varying wattage, just do research and take your time.

Most PSU's give both 20- and 24-pin capabilities.

The ones I've purchased have been few, but i guess that means they're good. Right now I'm using an Enermax, and it's served me well or almost 4 years.

Do research.
Find quality.
Do more research.

Get one with more power than you need, for when you upgrade. If you ahve a small case adn and afford it, get a modular PSU - they alow you to disconnect unneeded cords and help keep your case tidy, which leads to better airflow, which leads to less heat, which leads to longer lifespan.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 07:23 

Grats on new PC!

The tri-cores actually look pretty cool from bench's i've seen. Invest in an aftermarket cooler and hopefully the MB can do some OC'ing and it should do very nicely.

As for the PSU, 250 watt and onboard video. I am guessing this is a MicroATX setup. That means the case may not hold a full size PSU. There aren't that many good MicoATX PSU's out there either. Ideally a new case that would hold a full size PSU would be best.

Defintely don't shoot for overkill, you don't need much. But a quality 400-500 watt psu would be good.

Did find this decent deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 12:27 

thanks all -)

but can sone one else answer if the graphics card will run ok for a month or so? just till i manage to get the psu. need to get some other things such as WoW wotlk bored of doing nothing with my 3 70s :P

any one who could tell me if the card will run ok. will be great

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 13:20 
Editors
Editors

Thing is, we don't know if the card'll work or not.

Chances are it will, as nVidia/ATi are very good at overestimating the PSU required by their cards... but if it doesn't work, it could be that it's a really cheap no-brand PSU that barely lives up to it's specs, it could be that it's got split 12v rails and the rail off to the GPU simply doesn't provide enough power... you see the problem? Too many unknowns, unless we've got the kit sitting in front of us so we can test.

On the bright side, if the PSU isn't enough, it's not gonna damage anything... worse case is that it'll crash when the GPU gets loaded, less serious is it won't boot at all. (I say that the worse case is a crash with loaded GPU, as that runs the risk of data corruption... the system simply not turning on is fairly minor in comparison. ;))

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 13:46 

ah cheers man =)

i read something on yahoo with a guy asking the same question as me, the reply was it will work on any 250 watt if its modern, basicly if its not ancient. and has 15 amps which mine does =) so it will be fine woot