Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 17:42 

I did a lot of research in to what 20.1" LCD monitors featured S-IPS panels, and found that the VX2025wm was one of them.. Based on this info, I purchased the VX2025wm. However, it seems that everything I read was wrong. As I was reading a thread at another forum, someone mentioned how the Viewsonic has a MVA panel, and backed it up with a link from Viewsonic's site:
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm

I bought this monitor because everything I had read up to that point said it was S-IPS. I was also considering the Dell 2007WFP with the S-IPS panel, but now have learned that Dell is using MVA panels in their latest 2007WFP revision. The only other option that I am aware of for a ~20" widescreen IPS LCD is a NEC that costs upwards of $600.

So what should I do here guys? Do I really have any options as far as IPS panels go? I just can't believe that everything I read states that the VX2025wm is a S-IPS panel, and then the morning after I order it I find out it's not..

[edit]
Has anyone checked this monitor by either opening the casing or through some kind of service menu? I'm just hoping that Viewsonic's Europe site has the info incorrectly listed..

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 18:21 

I believe it is an MVA panel. Viewsonic Australia has the same info -

http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/productspecs.php?id=249

Quote:

"The technology combines SuperClear screen technology and the innovative Multi-domain Vertical Alignment technology to deliver high contrast and brilliant colors for photo-like image quality. MVA significantly improves an LCD display's viewing angles and provides superior image clarity even while viewing moving images."

If you are concerned about image fade from angled viewing, I have to say I haven't noticed any and who really looks at their monitor from that kind of angle anyway?

Overall, I'm very pleased with my vx2025vm. The only monitor that looked better to me overall in the store (BestBuy) was a Gateway that was priced significantly higher.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 18:29 

Do you notice any screen wash? I googled Viewsonic 2025 "screen wash" and vx2025wm "screen wash" and came up with nothing. That's good news, but another reason I thought the LCD was IPS. *VA panels are known for having screen wash and I greatly value a uniform image across the screen.

Do you notice any screen wash? Quoted from Blinky in another thread:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6553

One of the known drawbacks to this panel (as well as, I believe, the P-MVA) is a thing called "screen wash." Detail in dark images in the center of the screen are "washed" away, so to speak. You can test this by finding a photo of someone say wearing a black jacket. Minimize the window so you can drag it around your screen but still see the photo. On my Gateway, when the photo is centered, the black jacket is just a solid black shape. I can't see any details. When I drag it over to the left, however, the jacket suddenly becomes much lighter, and I can the buttons, pockets, etc etc.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 18:36 

Haven't noticed any screen wash at all.

The picture is clear and uniform across the panel and the colors are rich. I've got it set pretty much as it came with factory defaults - I think the only thing I did was lower the brightness a bit. I generally use in-game gamma controls to set the darkness/contrast level. This varies by game.

I've played Far Cry, HL-2 and FEAR in a dark room with it and the black/dark quality and depth are great. Not as good as my old Samsung 910P CRT, but excellent for an LCD. All IMHO.

Bang for your buck, I think it is a tough monitor to beat. Are there better ones? Yeah, but they'll likely cost significantly more.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 19:21 

This is a little off-topic but..

I don't think widescreen monitors under 22" are even worth getting widescreen. You might as well go 4:3 on 20" and 19" models. Once you start to get to 22", widescreen really shines.

Signed, My Opinion.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 19:58 

naturally I disagree, but do find a 20.1 normal display larger than the wides. still not worth it to me, the viewsonic should be a fine monitor.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 21:11 

I did a lot of research in to what 20.1" LCD monitors featured S-IPS panels, and found that the VX2025wm was one of them.. Based on this info, I purchased the VX2025wm. However, it seems that everything I read was wrong.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. What was your source of information ? You should double, triple check the info or simply use reliable source before you finalise your purchase.

So what should I do here guys? Do I really have any options as far as IPS panels go? I just can't believe that everything I read states that the VX2025wm is a S-IPS panel, and then the morning after I order it I find out it's not..

VX2025WM is using M201EW01 P-MVA panel. Essentially, same panel as in the Belinea 102030W or Asus PW201. Viewsonic is good all around panel and from the technical point of view P-MVA panels are somewhere between TN and IPS. Response time is nice, they have good black depth and they are also nice for movie playback. On the other hand, they can't match the colour fidelity of the S-IPS, they do suffer from the off perpendicular colour shift and colours may look juicy but in essence they are lacking the natural "neutrality" and darker colours and midtones reproduction is sometimes challenging. Choice of panel is usually also related with the user expectations from the monitor and that may include primary and preferable usage.

All in all, things can't go THAT wrong. My advice is that you spend couple of days with the monitor and see how it goes. If no major complains, why bother.

Regarding S-IPS panels situation, since Dell started to play lottery game (again) with the 2007WFP, options are really limited.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 21:29 

I don't think widescreen monitors under 22" are even worth getting widescreen. You might as well go 4:3 on 20" and 19" models. Once you start to get to 22", widescreen really shines.

Hmm ... not usually rule of thumb. 22" panels still can't match the quality of the highly rated 20" panels and choosing the 4:3 20" or 19" is maybe OK option for the office/desktop usage, but widescreen gaming - not. Until we can see advanced non TN based 22" panels (less likely) - high quality 20" panel is still nice and economical option and plenty of choices we have there (including 21" S-PVA Samsung). If someone is really keen to have proper screen estate upgrade, I guess that 24" is a way to go (if money is no object, of course).

I think that 20" WS panels are still offering the very nice balance between the size, price, quality and ergonomics. More importantly, WS content on them is still enjoyable for many users around.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 23:24 

[quote]I did a lot of research in to what 20.1" LCD monitors featured S-IPS panels, and found that the VX2025wm was one of them.. Based on this info, I purchased the VX2025wm. However, it seems that everything I read was wrong.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. What was your source of information ? You should double, triple check the info or simply use reliable source before you finalise your purchase.Over the past several days I have read so many sites regarding LCD panel technology that I honestly can't remember. However, it seems I was looking in all the wrong places!

[quote]So what should I do here guys? Do I really have any options as far as IPS panels go? I just can't believe that everything I read states that the VX2025wm is a S-IPS panel, and then the morning after I order it I find out it's not..

VX2025WM is using M201EW01 P-MVA panel. Essentially, same panel as in the Belinea 102030W or Asus PW201. Viewsonic is good all around panel and from the technical point of view P-MVA panels are somewhere between TN and IPS. Response time is nice, they have good black depth and they are also nice for movie playback. On the other hand, they can't match the colour fidelity of the S-IPS, they do suffer from the off perpendicular colour shift and colours may look juicy but in essence they are lacking the natural "neutrality" and darker colours and midtones reproduction is sometimes challenging. Choice of panel is usually also related with the user expectations from the monitor and that may include primary and preferable usage.

All in all, things can't go THAT wrong. My advice is that you spend couple of days with the monitor and see how it goes. If no major complains, why bother.

Regarding S-IPS panels situation, since Dell started to play lottery game (again) with the 2007WFP, options are really limited.I decided to cancel the order from newegg since they only offered a limited return on the VX2025wm. I've leanred that a local CompUSA has them in stock, so I'll check by there to see the panel in person to see if viewing angles, screen wash, or latency will be a problem for me.

The thing has really gotten rave reviews, so despite it's MVA technology, I'm not going to throw the idea out just yet. The only 20.1" IPS panel that I know I can get in the US is NEC's 20WMGX2. Tom's Hardware did latency and color accuracy tests with both the 20GX2 (as far as I'm aware, 20WMGX2 = 20GX2 + speakers) and the VX2025WM:
Viewsonic VX2025wm | NEC 20GX2

Color Accuracy
The Viewsonic seems to have higher latency than the NEC, but maximum latency is about the same. Maybe if I'm feeling really hardcore I'll calculate the area under the curve and come up with a % difference between the two.

Latency
I expected the NEC to be accurate, but what surprises me is the Viewsonic's accuracy. THG states that the Viewsonic's MVA panel is actually slightly more accurate than the NEC's IPS! Can that be right?

THG also mentioned that the brightness uniformity was superior on the Viewsonic. Surprising, though unrelated to the type of panel in the unit.

I also remember reading somewhere (just a few minutes ago) that overdriven MVA panels have the least amount of problems with flashing colors while watching video as compared to overdriven PVA or IPS panels.. I'll have to find that link though!

[edit]
Here is the quote and link!
MVA panels also offer some comparatively good movie playback with noise and artifacts quite low compared with other technologies. The application of overdrive doesn't help in this area, but MVA panels are pretty much the only ones which haven't suffered greatly in movie playback as a result. Many of the MVA panels are still pretty good in this area, sadly something which overdriven TN Film, IPS and PVA panels can't offer.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm