Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop or Desktop
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 01:09 

I would ask that you read this before you make you decision and that you don't bash the companies I am looking at instead say what you would suggest instead.

Desktop
Specs

Case by Lian Li
Sli Mobo
Conroe E6600
2gb OCZ gold ram DDR2 800
500gb harddrive space (250x2)
Dvd Rom Drive
Dvd RW Drive
700 watt OCZ powersupply
Cooling (New case fans Cpu Heatsink and other cooling products
A Few Case Lights
eVGA 512-P2-N568-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
4 games
Ikea Desk
USB Medusa Headset
Logitech G5
Logictech G15
7.1 surround sound system with Reciever/Amp
X-fi Extreme Music
Norton Anti Virus
21 inch Samsung Syncmaster
Xp Media Center Edition
Linksys Wireless Card
TV splitter and 2 tv tuners
Asembly tools
UPS (950 Watt)
Movie Editing Software
Total: $4,400

Laptop
XPS M1710 with 7900gtx 2gb 667mhz ram 2.16 memrom 4 year warrenty with accidental damage coverage 100gb harddrive with 2 Batteries
2 More Extra Batteries
4 games same ones as Desktop
Medusa USB headset
Logitech G5
Logitech G15
2 Laptop Coolers (different Locations)
Creative Inspire 7.1 speakers
Targus Leather 17" Case
Usb Light for use in the dark
Wirless Usb Card
External Usb soundcard
Norton Internet Security
DC to AC Convertor
2 TV tuners
100gb external usb powered harddrive and 250gb external ac powered harddrive
Movie Editing Software
Memory Card Reader
Total: $4850

My Situation
I go to friends houses quite often and would like to bring my computer along which is alot easier when it is a laptop. Also I usually go on 2 week long trips which have a 5 hour drive each way and a laptop would be nice to watch movies on or play games on the way. I also take 2 week long trips with flights and once again it would be nice to watch movies or play games in the airport and on the plane keeping in mind i would have the laptop on my lap instead of on the traytable. But also i would like to have a desktop because of the shear power a desktop has to offer and the easy upgrading. But I know I can always upgrade my laptop or send it too dell to get upgraded. I will also use my laptop to check my email on vacations as I get a lot of email.

Which do you think is better? Please submit your vote and if you would like say why one is better.

Note: If this is in the wrong forum I would like it if you could move it

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 01:21 

I'm saying desktop because as far as I know desktops give you more bang for your buck.. a 4k laptop won't be as good as a 4k desktop..

EDIT: But, if you want to take your computer to a friends house and back a lot you need to go laptop. Desktops are much too fragile for all that movement..

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 01:32 
Editors
Editors

I voted desktop, though it all depends on needs. Usually its better to have a top-notch desktop and then buy either a cheap laptop or a portable dvd player for road entertainment or casual work.
If to buy laptop, I'd prefer it with a docking station. :)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 02:03 

I'd say since you move around so much a laptop wouldn't be a terrible idea. But at the same time, one could buy an extremely fast desktop and just get a cheapo laptop for on the road usage as well.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 02:38 

Thank you for your replies i know i can get a much better desktop for the same price as a laptop but the point of buying a good laptop is so i can enjoy my games on vacation and get over 10fps on them

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 05:44 
Founder
Founder

Since you are going to be doing some travelling, I would recommend Laptop, with one caveat - make sure that if and when you use it in a static desktop-ish environment you raise the screen up to a comfortable viewing height and consider an external keyboard. It'll save you loads of achy neck/shoulder problems down the road if you plan on using it for a period of a few years.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 08:13 
Editors
Editors

man, with the amount of stuff your buying with the laptop, it makes it pointless to be carrying around.

I vote desktop. I also voted desktop because really, when your outdoors you should be enjoying it.

Also if you end up going for the laptop, just get to batteries, and get one of . these guys

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 16:12 

man, with the amount of stuff your buying with the laptop, it makes it pointless to be carrying around.

I vote desktop. I also voted desktop because really, when your outdoors you should be enjoying it.

Also if you end up going for the laptop, just get to batteries, and get one of . these guys

With the bolded part im buying that stuff for this reason, that is what i will use when i use it like a desktop i don't plan on bringing it along those are just accesories for at home use

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 17:05 

Look, I'll tell you what I know...

Usually I have to travel from Brazil to the U.S., business trip. I take with me a laptop that is the average weight to light type, and I can tell you, it is tiresome to carry it around. Most hotels simply take no responsability if anything valuable is taken out of your room, I know, it is rare to happen, but better to be safe than say sorry. So you will have to store it in the hotel safe at all times you want to go out or take the laptop with you. Since the entire proccess of having to sign-up a receipt, go to the safe room, deposit, etc. is long, most of the times you will probably take it with you (if you are like me), this is about your business trips of course....

I start to wonder, if a laptop that was made for using only office applications, to be a little bit more than lightweight, is not funny to carry around, go figure a top notch laptop that must be thickier, have heavier batteries and so on....

Based on your needs, I would tell you, the laptop would be good if you often go to your friends house and want to take it with you, but such heavyweight laptop is not suitable for business trip, at least not for me... Take into consideration that the screen is fixed and most laptops, even the "gamers" type, doesn't have panels that are suitable for gaming, and they don't have a DVI output, unless the laptop has a docking station to go with it that has the DVI output...

I would say, in my oppinion, you are better of:

- Building the same desktop by your self or asking a friend to do it, paing much less than this price.

- Buy those kits to take your case to lan-parties, just be careful while driving and you won't have any problems.

- Buy a PSP or NDS and a portable DVD Player to take with you during your trips.

I'm sure that you spend much less than 4K doing that. If you really want to buy a computer ready and assembled, I still would suggest you to go with a desktop + case carrying kit + portable video game and player.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 18:41 

Look, I'll tell you what I know...

Usually I have to travel from Brazil to the U.S., business trip. I take with me a laptop that is the average weight to light type, and I can tell you, it is tiresome to carry it around. Most hotels simply take no responsability if anything valuable is taken out of your room, I know, it is rare to happen, but better to be safe than say sorry. So you will have to store it in the hotel safe at all times you want to go out or take the laptop with you. Since the entire proccess of having to sign-up a receipt, go to the safe room, deposit, etc. is long, most of the times you will probably take it with you (if you are like me), this is about your business trips of course....

I start to wonder, if a laptop that was made for using only office applications, to be a little bit more than lightweight, is not funny to carry around, go figure a top notch laptop that must be thickier, have heavier batteries and so on....

Based on your needs, I would tell you, the laptop would be good if you often go to your friends house and want to take it with you, but such heavyweight laptop is not suitable for business trip, at least not for me... Take into consideration that the screen is fixed and most laptops, even the "gamers" type, doesn't have panels that are suitable for gaming, and they don't have a DVI output, unless the laptop has a docking station to go with it that has the DVI output...

I would say, in my oppinion, you are better of:

- Building the same desktop by your self or asking a friend to do it, paing much less than this price.

- Buy those kits to take your case to lan-parties, just be careful while driving and you won't have any problems.

- Buy a PSP or NDS and a portable DVD Player to take with you during your trips.

I'm sure that you spend much less than 4K doing that. If you really want to buy a computer ready and assembled, I still would suggest you to go with a desktop + case carrying kit + portable video game and player.

So if I want to bring my computer to a friends several times a month laptop is better because desktop is to fragile but if i just want to move it once every one or two months desktop with psp/nds and dvd player is better