Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
Last visit was: less than a minute ago It is currently 31 May 2020, 13:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]




 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 07:19 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 07:16
Posts: 6
Hello all!

I have a strange problem where the actual FPS of my surround is lower than the settings in NV Control Panel.

First, when I enable surround with my 2 PG279Q and 1 PG278Q I don't get the 144FPS option, only 120. I can do 144FPS on each monitor when not in Surround. I don't mind losing the 24 FPS very much. However, what I've noticed is that despite control panel stating that my surround resolution is running at 120 FPS, it appears that the actual FPS is much lower, at around 90.

I don't know how to check actual FPS of the monitors themselves (when I press the settings button the menu says 120 FPS), but I notice that any game I run at higher than 90 FPS tears despite G-Sync being on. I think that's normal behavior when the FPS of a game exceeds that of the G-Sync refresh rate. When I cap the FPS of these games to 90, the games run as "smooth" as 90 FPS can get.

Has any run into this strange problem? I don't think it's a driver issue because I recently reformatted.

Thanks for any help you can give! ^^


Top
  
 


PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 17:15 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2008, 17:20
Posts: 3424
Check OSD settings, there must be a way to display the actual refresh rate. What GPU are you using ?


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 03:56 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 07:16
Posts: 6
scavvenjahh wrote:
Check OSD settings, there must be a way to display the actual refresh rate. What GPU are you using ?


Hi Scavvenjahh! OSD states 120 hz. I feel rather confident that it's not accurate though. I can't think of another reason why G-Sync would tear when over ~95 FPS but be smooth under it.

I am using 1080 TI SLI - Evga FTW and MSI Gaming X.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 16:54 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2008, 17:20
Posts: 3424
SLI, you say... Are you using a HB bridge ?
KofH wrote:
I feel rather confident that it's not accurate though.
'120 Hz' is just the display mode. What I meant to say is: in your OSD menu, navigate to OSD settings, there must be a way to activate a hz/fps counter that will help you track performance at any time. On my Acer monitors it's called "Refresh rate num on/off".


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 03:29 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 07:16
Posts: 6
scavvenjahh wrote:
SLI, you say... Are you using a HB bridge ?


I sure am! The MSI one.

I also noticed that 120hz seems to work properly when SLI is disabled. So it may be that this is all caused by SLI...

scavvenjahh wrote:
'120 Hz' is just the display mode. What I meant to say is: in your OSD menu, navigate to OSD settings, there must be a way to activate a hz/fps counter that will help you track performance at any time. On my Acer monitors it's called "Refresh rate num on/off".


I didn't find it, and tried to google it. I don't think the Rog Swift does that. :(


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 05:55 
Offline

Joined: 31 Jul 2017, 05:48
Posts: 1
take a look at OSD settings.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 16:07 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 07:16
Posts: 6
RotecLaser wrote:
take a look at OSD settings.


Anything in particular to look at?

One thing I noticed with the OSD settings is that the option to choose FPS is gone. Normally, the Swift allows you to choose between FPS speed when not in Nv Surround.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 17:18 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2008, 17:20
Posts: 3424
My bad, it's not in the OSD: https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/129622.pdf
Just press the "GamePlus hotkey" and use the d-pad to enable the fps counter.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 18:12 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 07:16
Posts: 6
scavvenjahh wrote:
My bad, it's not in the OSD: https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/129622.pdf
Just press the "GamePlus hotkey" and use the d-pad to enable the fps counter.


Update:

I've discovered something new after using DDU, but not because of using DDU.

I have 2 PG279Qs with one PG278Q in 1x3 Surround with a max refresh rate of 120hz when these tearing issues happen. It appears that when I enable surround 1x2 with ONLY the 279s, the maximum refresh rate is 144 hz (which is honestly still odd because the PG279Q should be able to run at 165 hz) but if I attempt to do 1x2 surround with one 279 and 278, the max refresh rate becomes 120 hz.

When the two 279s are in 1x2 surround, there is no tearing even up to 144 hz. But when the 278 is added in, either in 1x2 or 1x3, the max refresh rate I can select is 120 hz AND there is tearing over ~95 FPS.

I'm currently looking into:
1) Why my 279Q can't do 165 hz either in surround or alone.
2) Why my 278Q causes surround max refresh rate to drop to 120 hz.

It seems that the best and possibly easiest solution I can pursue is to try to bring the refresh rate up to 144 hz.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 19:06 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2011, 18:58
Posts: 2286
do you have an AMD Card lying around, or a friend which could lend you his card for a day and test what happens?

_________________
We gonna send it to outa space!


Top
  
 
 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Yandex [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group