Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 11:19 

Hi I am trying to set up a three monitor system to work with surround. The problem is my gtx980m only has one HDMI port and that's it.. If I get a HDMI splitter will that just duplicate the one screen? I tried a Usb to HDMI but when I hook that up it wont even open Navidia control panel.. I do have a thunder bolt port but I dont think it is connected to the graphics card, so not sure if i can do it that way either.. Any help would be appreciated!
My system:
Alienware 17 R3 model P43F
Intel i7-6820HK
Gtx 980m

I apologize if this is not posted in the correct group, Im new to the community if mods could redirect it would be appreciated

Last edited by DrivingCrazy24 on 06 Sep 2016, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 12:17 
Editors
Editors

I guess the Forum is partially correct. You might want to add "on a Laptop" in your thread Title for faster understanding of the topic / attracting more specific Users.

Sadly I don't know much about nVidia, even less about Mobile GPUs.

If you had a Display port MultiStream would work. But this technology doesn't work on HDMI.

Maybe with a DualHead ?
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ ... igital_se/

P.S an USB Display will never work as youre not using your GPU for these devices but the graphics render inside the Monitor. So technologies like AMD Eyefinity or nVidia Surround are not available.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 18:21 

OK Thanks Haldi. I think what Im gathering from other boards is the only way I can do it would be a desktop card through the Alienware graphics amp.