Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 19:11 

hi guys,

this board was always a good place to find tips and tricks for building my first triple screen setup. thanks for that! but this time i need a more specific advice.

my eyefinity card has died and i would like to buy a new one. it should be a real upgrade, so i thought about a gtx 980 ti or a gtx 1070 or gtx 1080. my budget is 500-800 euro.

my setup:

Windows 7 (64bit) with:
Board: ASUS M5 A7 BL / US83
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 970
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333MHz
VGA: Radeon Eyefinity 6840 HD
Screens: 3x LG FLATRON E2351T-BN

playing: WoW, GW2, Mirrors Edge, maybe more soon?

my questions:
1. does it make sense to add one of the mentioned cards to that old rig? or would that be like a jet engine in a shopping cart? what's a better strategy?

2. is every gtx 980 / 1070 / 1080 able to run three screens at the same time? If not, which one can you recommend?

3. is it difficult to switch from amd eyefinity to nvidia surround? should i stay with eyefinity just because it's easier?

any help is appreciated :roll: :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 02:46 
Editors
Editors

1. Mhmmmm nope doesn't make much sense. Especially because in Triplewide you need more CPU Performance than on a single Monitor.
If you're short on Cash you can buy the Card now and Upgrade MB and CPU and RAM later.
I'd guess a 20-40% Performance increase of the 1080 with a new Intel CPU.

2. AFAIK Yes, but I don't know much about Nvidia.

3. It's basicly the same. Nvidia doesn't support different Resolutions or PLP setups. But for a Triplewide 5760x1080 it's no difference at all.

P.S don't go for a 980. That's a old 28nm Card. Same goes for the Fury. 1080 or AMD R480 Crossfire are the only options. (Yes, after the 970 I don't trust Nvidia anymore.....) and Crossfire is always a bad idea. So yeah. If you don't want to wait 5-7months for AMD's Vega Chip (next gen Fury) the 1080 is your only choice.
But don't go for the overpriced Founders Edition. The only thing that does is founding nvidias finances^^

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 17:12 

thanks!

i guess i will go for a 1070 or 1080 and get some other upgrades like new cpu and better/more ram. it may take 1-2 weeks but i will report the results.