Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 23:43 

Hey guys,

Currently have a GTX970 and running a 5760x1080 resolution. However i'm wanting to add another monitor (I believe this is possible on a 970 but please advise me if i'm wrong).

The other monitor will not be part of the Nvidia surround as i'm hoping to use it for browsing/skype etc whilst playing on my 3 monitors (bordered I suppose).

Would Windows just see this as 2 monitors?

Thanks and sorry to ask on my first post but hope I can contribute in the future too.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 14:27 
Editors
Editors

Hi,
:welcome
Technically it's possible to have a 3+1 Layout on Nvidia. But I do not know which connectors you need on a GTX970.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 22:32 

Thanks for the response and welcoming :)

I have all the connectors but my next issue was whether or not I can be using say Skype while playing a game in borderless fullscreen (windowed) without having to ALT+TAB out to gain control of my mouse again? As if I did have to do that it would make the use of the 4th screen pointless to an extent?

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 02:32 
Editors
Editors

impossible.
Even in Borderless Window mode if you click into another window you will lose Focus on the Game, so all input will be redirected to the other app. You then need to click back into the game.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 10:20 

Hi Defy9, Would you consider using an android device for skype? I use my old phone mounted on an old windshield GPS mount on my desk. I can then cast that screen to my TV if i need a bigger image. This way, you won't have to alt tab out of the game to chat.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 11:27 
Administrators
Administrators

Shredder Steve wrote:
Hi Defy9, Would you consider using an android device for skype? I use my old phone mounted on an old windshield GPS mount on my desk. I can then cast that screen to my TV if i need a bigger image. This way, you won't have to alt tab out of the game to chat.

I 2nd this solution, either use miracast or a MHL cable that allows the phones USB port to output via HDMI to a display.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 22:34 

Thanks for the suggestions, I was considering getting an android tablet or something but still unsure if it'll get much more use besides from skype/browsing etc

I usually have my phone charging next to me but dislike using the phones touchpad to type? Would your solution of casting to another monitor allow me to use a bluetooth keyboard of some sort? So basically i'd be using my phone as a PC basically? Another reason i'd like the screen is I like to watch sports sometimes when playign games and as I use different streaming sites it may not be supported by android.

That and I kinda just wanted an excuse to get another monitor :P I do however remember im some instances when I was using a gamepad, the game would still work when I lost focus? I can't remember what game or what setting though (obviously wouldn't work on EVERY game).

I really appreciate the suggestions and advice though, a very welcoming community.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 23:20 
Editors
Editors

If you want to do it realy complicated you can try other methods.
A: Run a VM on your computer and Maximize it on the 4th monitor.
Then run a Remote Keyboard Software with Hotkeys, so you can press "Hotkey A" to switch from Local input to Input on Remote Computer and later press "Hotkey B" to switch back.
B: Buy a 100-150$ HDMI Compute Stick/Mini PC with Atom X86 core and Windows 10.
Use the Same Remote KEyboard software.

This would even allow for Fullscreen in DX applications as the remote keyboard software would capture the input and block it locally.

But yeah, then there is no big difference from Borderless Window mode, because you cant use it ingame anymore.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 00:10 

Ah excellent that sounds like a viable solution actually. The first option might be best as it'd be tough enough justifying to the missus I need a fourth monitor let a lone another HDMI stick as well :)

Can you suggest any of the remote keyboard software? I'm confused as how the periphirals could switch from virtually one PC to the other with a hotkey?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 01:33 

Actually, thinking further, I don't mind alt tabbing out of the game to type/browse if it didn't 'minimise' the screen. In a borderless fullscreen game can I ...

a) Move the window to the 5760x1080 screen and maximize the game? I assume alt+ent will just make the game fullscreen (not borderless window)
b) Alt+tab out of the game (lose focus) onto the browsing monitor, without minimisign the game window? Does this automatically happen when in bordered mode?