Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 19:00 

I'm looking at setting up my first 3 monitor system. I know I'll need to upgrade my video card (currently a GTX 570). Like most people I'm trying to do this as cost effectively as possible. My current system has a 750w power supply. So, because of that and keeping the cost down I was hoping to be able to do this using a single GPU. I prefer to stay with nVidia. The AMD GPU's have a higher TDP, usually like 250w and I think that'll require me to purchase a bigger PS.

So can anyone comment on what I might expect with gaming performance running 3 - 1920x1200 displays on a single GTX 960, or a GTX 970?
I can find plenty of benchmarks for a single display, but so far nothing when Surround mode is enabled for 3 monitors. I typically play BF3, BF4 and racing sims.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2015, 01:23 
Editors
Editors

You can watch for 4k Benchmarks in 3820x2160 that's somewhat similar to 3x1 1920x1200 Surround.
i would not reccomend the GTX970 as there is a problem with 3.5gb VRAM which you will definitly realize at least 1-2 years later when games use more VRAM.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2015, 16:53 

Thanks.
I did some checking of benchmarks at 4K and it looks like it really isn't possible to do a 3 monitor setup with a single GPU without seriously dialing back the video quality in the games (with the possible exception of the $999 GTX Titan X)
Oh well, so much for that idea :-(