Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 05:25 

New to the forum but in my search for a multi monitor setup I head this forum recommended a lot.

I am running 3 Dell U2414h (1920x1080) monitors on an Obutto Ozone racing cockpit. PC specs as follows

Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 Motherboard
Intel i5-4670K
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
Crucial M500 480gb
Crucial M500 960gb
2 Gigabyte GTX 970's
Corsair RM750 PSU
Windows 8.1 64bit

No overclocks on anything. The only thing I modified is the idle speed on the 970's to lower them a bit. Temps sit around 30 on idle.

Two monitors are hooked up via DVI with the third on HDMI. I have a 4th hooked up with an active display port to hdmi adapter but that monitor sits across the room and is disabled when surround is active.

Games on this setup run excellent. Mostly racing sims but I've also been playing Bioshock Infinite on ultra with no problems. So gaming runs excellent but doing anything else in windows feels like garbage when surround is enabled. Windows pop up slow, I get lag and stuttering when dragging windows, icons turning blue with mouse over lags.

With surround disabled and SLI enabled on a single monitor I get no desktop lag. Everything is blazing fast and snappy. Enabling surround again brings back the lag. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on a solution? I have done clean driver installs with no luck and set windows to "performance" but that didn't change anything.

Any help would be great Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:02 

I take it that the refresh rate on desktop has not dropped to a lower value? not very likely, but?

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:35 

I checked that, refresh rate is good. I was playing around with it this weekend. It seems like the the lag is from enabling my 4th monitor while the other three are in surround. I disabled the 4th and re setup surround at 5760x1080 with out any bezel correction and it was working great. I started to notice a little bit of desktop lag last night again so I'm not sure that I am totally out of the woods yet. No where near as bad as it was with the 4th monitor enabled though. This card was advertised as being the solution for triple monitors + a single accessory so it's weird that this would be an issue.