Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 05:27 

Hello Community.

I've been an AMD user for my triple monitor solution for the last few years. I'm currently using a radeon 6990; it's a 4gb card (which is comprised of two 2gb GPUs in crossfireX). I've been considering the purchase of an NVIDIA product to upgrade because I'm finding that the crossfire scaling (for some game titles) is frequently problematic.

So my question is in two parts:

Question One: For a Multi-Monitor solution which of the current NVIDIA product line would be the best choice; the (cheaper) GTX 770 OC2 or the GTX 780 ti? I did notice that the GTX 770 OC2 has more memory than the GTX 780 ti (4gb GDDR5 vs. 3gb GDDR5), but the price point of the GTX 780 ti is $170 (U.S.) more than the GTX 770 OC2; which makes me wonder what the best candidate for a triple monitor solution would be.

Question Two: Now based on the results of Question One; does it seem logical for me to upgrade (from my radeon 6990) to the current ("best for my purposes") NVIDIA product?

Thank you all in advance! Long Live the WSGF!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 15:57 

To answer your first question, the 780 ti is obviously better, so the real question is, do you want to spend the extra money.
The 780 ti is roughly comparable to two 770's running in sli.

I was debating whether to upgrade to two 770's or just a single 780 ti. I went with the 780ti last night for an upgrade from my dual 570's.

As for you second question... Only you can answer that one. Personally I didnt "need" to upgrade, I just "wanted" to upgrade.
I don't think you "need" to upgrade, so I cant say whether or not its logical
also unless I know what you intend to do with your card... what games you play and how bad do you want to play with all the eye candy turned on in those games.

For me BF4 was running great on my rig with medium/high settings... But I "want" more. :D

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 16:48 

TJdehya wrote:
To answer your first question, the 780 ti is obviously better, so the real question is, do you want to spend the extra money.
The 780 ti is roughly comparable to two 770's running in sli.

Just for "clarity sake"; I realize that the gtx 780 ti will out perform a regular gtx 770 but there is a "770 OC2" version http://www3.pny.com/GTX-770-4096MB-OC2-PCIe-P3439C589.aspx which is one card that claims to have 4gb of GDDR5 which is 1gb more than the 780 ti, but the "770 OC2" is cheaper than the 780 ti. So I was really trying to figure out if that extra 1gb of GDDR5 vram would have any advantage over the 780 ti in my multi-monitor (5760x1200 res.) setup.

Also in regard to this 770 OC2 (4gb version) I'm wondering if it is "somewhat" like my radeon 6990; in that my radeon 6990 has two GPUs in Crossfire on one board (which is what I'm trying to get away from because of frequent scaling issues.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 00:53 

Oh ok, The answer is Kinda Tricky.
The truth is that the 780ti is the one that needs the extra memory and not the 770.
The at higher resolutions the 770 is unable to run a game at high fps with a game that will require large amounts of Vram.
The 780ti will able to run that game at that resolution but the lack of ram will hurt it compared to a similar card with larger ram.
So the extra ram on a slower card will give it the advantage against similar cards at high resolutions but not against a fater cards with lower ram

In other words at high resolutions and ultra detail
780ti3GB > 7704GB
780ti3GB < 7804GB or more

The fact is that at high resolutions 3GB is not always enough and thats where Radeon cards will beat the NVidia equivalent at 4k resolutions.
I found a few reviews showing this but I am too lazy to find them again. Here is one, maybe i can find the rest for you when I am done playing with my new card.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17050 ... from-amd/2